Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always worked out of a full size van with a ladder rack on top. I have never even considered working out of a different kind of arrangement. I can keep me tools loaded including a table saw and miter box and still have plenty of room to load what ever material i need for the day, including 4' x 8' material even if its raining.

Now that I have been on CT for a while I have found out that must of you guys drive trucks or work out of trailers. So as the title suggested, I am wounding why not a van?

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I can leave a trailer at the job so when I need to leave the guys still have everything they need. I also drive my truck for personal use. I wouldn't if I had a van

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
I have considered a trailer many times. A van just makes more sense. We set up the jobsite with a locking gang box for hoses/cords/nails, and the test of the tools can be easily loaded in a truck or van. Trailers take up more room on site or at home, cause you to consume more gas, and the initial cost needs to be factored. I guess, for some guys they make sense, just never has for me.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have considered a trailer many times. A van just makes more sense. We set up the jobsite with a locking gang box for hoses/cords/nails, and the test of the tools can be easily loaded in a truck or van. Trailers take up more room on site or at home, cause you to consume more gas, and the initial cost needs to be factored. I guess, for some guys they make sense, just never has for me.
I got2-sprinters..... dreamy

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Van for 20 years, step van for 5. Have had station wagons, pick-ups and nothing works quick as well as a van, unless you regularly haul large equipment, like pallet jacks, bakers, specialty stuff that is large heavy or bulky....or work out of town and need to take man power, equipemnt, materials with you as you go,

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently changed out to a service body truck with a ladder rack. For what I do, it works great 90% of the time. Easy access to tools and ladders, a full size bed for hauling large materials, lumber, etc. I absolutely love it. The fold down doors and the top of the tool boxes make great work surfaces if you need them. The only downside is rainy days when I need to haul stuff that can't get wet. I have a box trailer for those days.

My issue with a van is crawling up inside to get every tool or part that I need. That sounds a bit lazy though... I suppose it all depends on what you do on a daily basis. I have come to the conclusion that there is no right answer for all situations.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I recently changed out to a service body truck with a ladder rack. For what I do, it works great 90% of the time. Easy access to tools and ladders, a full size bed for hauling large materials, lumber, etc. I absolutely love it. The fold down doors and the top of the tool boxes make great work surfaces if you need them. The only downside is rainy days when I need to haul stuff that can't get wet. I have a box trailer for those days.

My issue with a van is crawling up inside to get every tool or part that I need. That sounds a bit lazy though... I suppose it all depends on what you do on a daily basis. I have come to the conclusion that there is no right answer for all situations.
Beats standing out in the weather looking for something. :thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
My truck is probably more organized and cleaner than 99% of anyone on here at any time, but I still have to move things and rearrange stuff to get things out. I sure don't like doing that in the rain, snow, high winds or the blazing hot sun.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Nope love my van, turning radius is better than a Truck, tools are safe warm and dry.

It goes anywhere I dare to go, awd I can leave most anyone in the snow because a lot of guys arent in 4 wd if conditions are sketchy, dry to slush type driving. No van will even keep up ! I often wonder what they think when I leave them at a light seeing my van is debadged!!

My side doors open so there's no crawling inside for me except to get big tools out and once they are out they are out. All hand tools are a pop of a lock away!

I sit in my kids truck and it feels like your sitting down with your legs out in front of you and hurts my back my van you sit like your in a chair legs under you!

Pick ups do have their place but that too me is hauling my toys!!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am currently working out of a 6'6" crew cap pickup with an extra tall contractors cap, with good shelving and organization its ok, miss an 8' bed, but love the sound separation of a pickup and 4x4 is a god send

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Think it all depends on what you do and what is available around you.

Delivery is free for us but they are the only outfit in town so it is most of the time easier for me to go pick things up. Order of 15 pre-hung doors no problem. Make them 8' tall....no problem. 12 2x6x20', 6 2x6x16' green, 8 2x12x16'......no problem. 50 2x10x16...... no problem. And many more that I feel for me only my truck could do for me. These lists includes 85% of the tools I own with a 3500 genny, DeWalt compressor, saw horse, step ladder and more in the back.

Ford F-350 with 9' Royal utility bed and about a 15' rack.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
I worked out of a truck for 20+ years and finally got tired of the hassle of tools getting wet and/or stolen. Bought my first van 15 years ago and have been much happier since. I currently have a E-350 Diesel and love it. It can pull just about any equipment I need, including my trailer when I need to haul big stuff. I also have a regular pickup for short runs.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The reason I like a trailer better is because of maintenace. My work truck had a extra tall cap, tool boxes on the sides. I loved it because I could put everything inside and not worry about the weather. One year I had the transmission go out, twice. Extra long time in the shop. It was a huge hassle trying to get the tools I needed and worrying about everything that was left.

Now with a trailer, if something goes wrong, I can always pull it with another truck.

If your van goes down it will be difficult to work, for a while. Not impossible, just difficult. I won't miss a beat.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I should add that I'm sick of dragging a trailer around. Last year it only worked on about 20% of the jobs. Was a bad year to have a trailer. Of course truck parking wasn't much better.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've always been a van guy. It's just more practical.

I have friends who started with trucks because that was the social norm only to later move to a van or a utility body because they wanted something more enclosed when they figure out that an open bed is not secure.

If you go out and get a new TV with a pickup truck, you can't make stops or run other errands once it is in your possession.

·
Remodeler
321 Posts
A van is the way to go. I dont know why they dont have all wheel drive. Besides, if you get kicked out of the house, you can always sleep in your van,,,lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts