Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister sent me a text the other day. Some lady she works with needs the siding put back on her house. The wind blew a bunch of it off a while ago. She is a few miles away so I went to scope it out. I dont think this even counts as skimping out. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Our city outlawed vinyl siding cause some developer built a subdivision with vinyl siding and every time the wind picked up that crap was flying down the street.

For the longest time I thought that's just his vinyl siding was. But apparently, there is good vinyl siding, and good vinyl siding installers. It also seems to be the preferred product in wetter climates.

It really blew my kind when I visited family in Virginia, and even the high end houses had vinyl siding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,417 Posts
Our city outlawed vinyl siding cause some developer built a subdivision with vinyl siding and every time the wind picked up that crap was flying down the street. ......

Typical knee-jerk gubbamint.

Reactions: Rio

·
1,741 Posts
I am not sure but I think that that may not be the correct way to have fastened that siding on.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Andy.
Andy, I don't mean to argue with you, but we all know that if the installer would have bent the nail in the other direction all would be skippy.:jester::whistling

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the installer missed that nail slot.

Worked on a job this week where newly installed soffit was falling off, same install technique. T50 staples, not even sure how you keep the stapler from setting the staple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,133 Posts
Our city outlawed vinyl siding cause some developer built a subdivision with vinyl siding and every time the wind picked up that crap was flying down the street.

For the longest time I thought that's just his vinyl siding was. But apparently, there is good vinyl siding, and good vinyl siding installers. It also seems to be the preferred product in wetter climates.

It really blew my kind when I visited family in Virginia, and even the high end houses had vinyl siding.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One of the many reason I try and talk people out of vinyl here, to much wind. Have only done 3-4 jobs in 20 yrs. When I put steel on there is little chance of it ever coming off do to wind.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just wow, there is a specific way to nail vinyl and that’s not it.

And in OSB? She should be trying to track down the guys that put it on.

-Caleb

John 3:16

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can just see the confidence in this guys face gluing a strip of OSB onto the concrete wall and whipping out his little Stanley stapler from ace hardware.

Reactions: SmallTownGuy

·
Pro
3,301 Posts
We install siding, in Michigan (low wind), with 7/16 crown staples all day long. That staple is not properly fastened, but that isn't the problem. The problem is more likely that the staples are too short being its 1/2" (or 3/4"?) OSB furring strips on concrete. Staples need to completely penetrate OSB..and be properly spaced.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I really hope the clown that installed that siding was not a pro !!!!!!!!!, that is just disgusting.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
We install siding, in Michigan (low wind), with 7/16 crown staples all day long. That staple is not properly fastened, but that isn't the problem. The problem is more likely that the staples are too short being its 1/2" (or 3/4"?) OSB furring strips on concrete. Staples need to completely penetrate OSB..and be properly spaced.

That isn't a proper staple. The one in the picture is a T-50.

Staples hold and some siding is rated up to 140 mph. It just needs to be installed correctly.

That install is stupid. The osb went hold the fastener and without a vapor/moisture barrier, it is just going to leak everywhere. Among other things.

·
Pro
3,301 Posts
That isn't a proper staple. The one in the picture is a T-50.

Staples hold and some siding is rated up to 140 mph. It just needs to be installed correctly.

That install is stupid. The osb went hold the fastener and without a vapor/moisture barrier, it is just going to leak everywhere. Among other things.

It's over concrete, that area isn't going to leak.

·
Designer/Contractor
3,480 Posts
Interesting factoid on vinyl siding; it has a Class A fire rating, can be used in fire zones in California which really surprised me. It was a 'who would have thunk it' moment when I read that in Chapter 7A.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts