Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Bryant FC4CNF048 Air handler paired with a Bryant 663GJX042-A Compressor. The return air is downstairs dirctly under the air handler. It is the only return. Our master bedroom is upstairs at "the end of the run". It has a large window and cathedral ceiling. This room is the hottest in the house and gets the morning, afternoon and evening Central Florida sun. We have to run a fan constantly to circulate air. the heated square footage of the house is 2000 sf. There is not room for another return duct. The dealer wants to "baffle". We had all downstairs vents completely closed and could not increase the cooling in the master bedroom. I think baffles are an ineffective crutch, will raise static pressure and reduce efficiency. Does anyone have a suggestion on how we can resolve the problem. Would a larger duct to the master bedroom help?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Let's assume that the original installer knew what he was doing.
Major problems would be insulation and heat entry through windows.
There are companies that specialize in injected foam insulation, they claim that they can reduce energy bills by as much as 50%. You can call 772-460-6002 to find someone in your area.
Another option would be to shade the room from the sun and there are a number of options. Bamboo grows quickly and can get up to 120 ft high, planted in the right places it can provide a lot of shade and look good doing it. There are many varieties and colors but stay with the clumping kinds, the running kinds take a lot of work to keep them in place. Bahama shutters will shade the windows and you can still see out, most double as storm shutters as well. Window tints and treatments work to varying degrees. I'd first buy the static adhesive film and see if it helps, cheap test. I sell window treatments and as an engineer can't understand some of their claims. Once the sunlight has penetrated the glass that heat has entered the house, unless the outward facing surface is reflective and can bounce it back outside the heat is still in the house.
Mix and match these ideas and you should cool down.
Doc should be around for your A/C advice soon.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just so that I get the mental picture right, you are saying the only return is one that is pulling air from the room the airhandler is installed in and no where else in the house (not bedrooms, living room, hallway(s), etc.) correct? If yes, was it always set up this way? If it was, I cannot see how you would get effective air cirulation through the house not pulling any air from any of the other rooms except one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts