Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello all.

Why the heck do kitchen remodeling magazines still continue to show kitchens with marble countertops?!?

They are clearly the worst practical choice for a upgraded top, considering they are even more porous than granite.

When I see these photographs, I try to imagine how the conversation went... "Ok, now you have no kids, and you don't really use your kitchen ever.... hey let's do marble tops!"

The only benefit is that I have an opportunity to show the HO a quartz that looks similar to marble, and explain the benefits of a maintenance-free material.

·
Super Moderator
28,831 Posts
I merged the two threads. Please do not start a thread in multiple forums. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manufacturers of quartz call their products maintenance-free to drive the point home that the HO does not seal quartz like they need to do on a regular basis with granite and marble.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Manufacturers of quartz call their products maintenance-free to drive the point home that the HO does not seal quartz like they need to do on a regular basis with granite and marble.
I understand. A lot of manufacturers try to sell products as maintenance free when they should be selling them as low or reduced maintenance to be more honest about them. "Maintenance free" is a term that I've completely removed from my vocabulary because it tends to be misleading.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I understand. A lot of manufacturers try to sell products as maintenance free when they should be selling them as low or reduced maintenance to be more honest about them. "Maintenance free" is a term that I've completely removed from my vocabulary because it tends to be misleading.
What maintenance do you do to a quartz top?

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I'm holding out for the self cleaning counter.

And there's nothing wrong with marble for a counter, as long as the customer has the correct expectations for it in their home. Europeans have used it for years, but don't expect it to look brand new. Somehow, some Americans get the idea that if they spend a good amount of money on something, it must be absolutely perfect, and remain absolutely perfect for the next 30 years or else they've received a defective product.

·
GC/carpenter
43,887 Posts
EricBrancard said:
Exactly why all the composite decking companies took "maintenance free" out of their vocabulary. Nothing's maintenance free because everything needs cleaned. When you fail to clean things it causes all kinds of issues. The decking companies are using, as you do "low maintenance".

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The magazines usually favor advertisers and the their products, plus they usually get the high quality photos free. That drastically reduces their cost of doing business.

Reactions: DesignerDude

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Exactly why all the composite decking companies took "maintenance free" out of their vocabulary. Nothing's maintenance free because everything needs cleaned. When you fail to clean things it causes all kinds of issues. The decking companies are using, as you do "low maintenance".
That's the reason I hate the term "maintenance free" now. Because I'm sure you remember when Trex was sold to us and the customer under that premise. The best looking Trex and Trex accents decks I ever did are the ones that have been painted since they were put down.

·
GC/carpenter
43,887 Posts
EricBrancard said:
That's the reason I hate the term "maintenance free" now. Because I'm sure you remember when Trex was sold to us and the customer under that premise. The best looking Trex and Trex accents decks I ever did are the ones that have been painted since they were put down.
Fortunately they discontinued Accents. :thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
43,887 Posts
EricBrancard said:
Fortunately, unless you're a mold spore looking for a new home. :whistling
We don't have mold issues here. Never seen it. I've seen flaking but not mold.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,482 Posts
I've never seen a "maintenance free" material before.
:thumbsup:

I never got the whole maintenance free thing. Nothing in life is maintenance free.

Unless, of course, you want to just open a vein. :thumbsup: That's maintenance free, and zero energy, and all that crap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just saw that Pental (formerly Chroma) now has a quartz that looks just like Carrerra marble.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,805 Posts
I'm holding out for the self cleaning counter.

And there's nothing wrong with marble for a counter, as long as the customer has the correct expectations for it in their home. Europeans have used it for years, but don't expect it to look brand new. Somehow, some Americans get the idea that if they spend a good amount of money on something, it must be absolutely perfect, and remain absolutely perfect for the next 30 years or else they've received a defective product.
Agreed.

From a design perspective, the patina of marble as it wears and ages makes it a beautiful choice--but not for every client. I agree the properties of the material need to be brought front and center so the client knows what to expect. But it's wrong to say marble isn't appropriate as a counter just because it requires a little more care than other options.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I recently did a white kitchen with white marble tops. It looks beautiful. The client owns a restaurant and knew what she wanted. Keeping the customer informed and in some cases educating them is the key in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts