Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is your plumbing company fixing defected plumbing material (faucets, water heaters, outside faucets, stop and wastes ect.)for free? A lot of plumbing manufactures waranties have eliminated labor and will only replace parts. My company in the last two years did 28,000 dollars in free work. Customers will not pay labor on defective plumbing items if its less than a year old. My company has stopped fixing manufactures problems. Some manufactures have there own service techs that will fix any problems. Help me out / stop working for free. The next time you install a faucet and its defective do not replace it for free. Call the manufacture and ask them to do it. Some of them will try to send you material to make up labor. Do not sell yourself short tell them you want full comansation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installations are just that, I charge for the labor and a small handling charge over the cost for materials if I have agreed to provide them. Customers know my work is gauranteed by me, any probs with parts, not mine. If I have to repair, or replace anything, labor rates are the same. Owner has to deal with the manufacturer for retrobutions. But that being said, I prevent those type of problems for my clients by insisting on well made parts/materials, and I will inspect it thouroughly before I install it. That is all part of my protection gaurantee.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have run into the same problems in the past, even this past weekend with a 2 week old Zoller sump pump.

Yea the replace the pump, but what do you do about the labor?

I invoice them for the time and labor and add for a 90 day wait, add in 1.5% per month and just wait for my check.

It sucks to doo things twice, makes us look bad someone should pay.

I bet 4 out of 5 get payed, try it.

BJD

·
Registered
533 Posts
If you are using quality manufacturers then defects should be rare. If you are installing junk, defects will be common. Solution, don't install junk. Don't warranty anything that you do not provide. Also part of the price of everything you sell should be for warranty service. Finally when there is a call back on something you have installed, always look at it as an opportunity to demonstrate your level of commitment to customer service. Some of my most loyal clients are those who had problems with something I installed, but because I handled the problem quickly and without any hassle for them it lets them know that they can depend on me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts