Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wondered why the administrator(s) of http://www.contractortalk.com put Tile and Stone in the flooring section?:censored:
I feel like calling the Local 1 shop stewart and filing a complaint.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
When I needed a contractor to install my tile floor, I called a flooring contractor.

Are you suggesting that I should have contacted a mason contractor?

Things I walk on indoors are called floors. Who would you call?

Ed

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Why does a grown man and professional use the word "peeps"?

Do you wear your baseball hat sideways too?
I must be getting old because I HATE that too.When I see major leaguers doing that I want to scream......:furious:

Sorry...SOT!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I understand what he is saying. Tile is a trowel trade. But I would have filed it under flooring also. In a commercial setting tile is laid by tile setters which are associated with the other trowel trades. But with residential work alot of times the guy who puts in your hardwood floor or carpet also does tile.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I see what you're saying NJ, but I can't believe a union, or any commercial mason, would be laying laying tile one day & brick the next. At least not around here. I do see some similarites between the two trades, though.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Man that's a big baby..Life size....:laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
:laughing::laughing:
Agree, fuk the unions. I have yet to find a union tradesman that's happy with the union....and I can say with... my 30 years in the field. That less than half of them know WTF they are doing.
Oh, just my honest opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,732 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I see what you're saying NJ, but I can't believe a union, or any commercial mason, would be laying laying tile one day & brick the next. At least not around here. I do see some similarites between the two trades, though.
You are mostly right. In many areas they are in the same local but do not work together. Some members are cross trained in different trades with in their local. But I have never met a guy that works both tile and brick jobs.

:laughing::laughing:
Agree, fuk the unions. I have yet to find a union tradesman that's happy with the union....and I can say with... my 30 years in the field. That less than half of them know WTF they are doing.
Oh, just my honest opinion. :thumbsup:
Hello CJ my name is Mike. You found a union tradesman that is happy with his union. I am not going to say that unions, including mine are not with out their faults. I do not know of any large organization/business that does not have faults. But I have worked both sides and can say that I would not go back unless I had to. As far as less than half knowing what they are doing. In my experience the quality and knowledge has been better on the union side on average. I have worked with great guys either way and knuckleheads either way. I also believe that when it comes to brick and block work commercial and residential work are two different animals. In my area most commerical work is union and residential is not. I have seen many non union guys struggle trying to make the switch. Which I think one of the reasons is the fact that non union companies use corner poles and the guys are not good with their levels.
I am not knocking anyone here about their union affiliation or unaffiliation. I just wanted to give my point of view. I am always up for a good debate.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I have seen many non union guys struggle trying to make the switch. Which I think one of the reasons is the fact that non union companies use corner poles and the guys are not good with their levels.

Never been in a union and never used poles on a block job. I agree though, you can get the best or the worst from each organization, it usually depends on the man and his pride. :thumbsup:

I have always thought that it was a logical step to lay tile and brick/block, but my phone isn't ringing off the hook for tile jobs.

Well, its not ringing off the hook for masonry either, but I have enough to keep busy. :whistling

1 - 20 of 20 Posts