Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Head Grunt
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II. It is probably more than 20 years old. Been working well as far as I can tell, but I'm just a carpenter.

Lately while it is heating, it emits this harmonic tone that can be heard throughout the house. (House isn't real big.)

The sound comes and goes, isn't constant. But I have absolutely no idea what could be causing it. And my wife thinks I should be able to figure it out.

Anyone ever run into this before? She is concerned that this could be a sign of it crapping out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Fan bearings?

·
Professional Contractor
7 Posts
Noise

it's coming from the compressor, #1 check your piping going into the house if it's settled on a wall or a truss this will be the cause.
#2 check the rubber compressor mounts inside the outside unit, if it's a heat pump it will also have an accumulator rubber mount one centered and on the bottom check it.
Last you can have a discharge muffler installed on it however it will cost more than you should invest in a 20yr old unit, the noise comes from age internal parts worn inside the compressor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The harmonic tone could be a vibration noise going through the entire ductwork. I would check the furnace blower wheel for being dirty and throwing it off balance, or maybe the furnace case needs some of those rubber pads where it sits on the floor? It does sound like it is coming from a moving part of some sort.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have ran into something similar before. It sounds like your outdoor fan. The bearings may be going bad. You will hear the noise on start up. When the system runs the noise goes away but when the system starts again it comes back until the fan picks up speed. If this is your problem you fan blade will one day stop working. The blower inside if a split unit / outside if a package will make the same noise. It works normally when fan motor is at correct speed. Normally makes noise like a loud humming sound on startup. It should be at speed quick. Watch it when it first comes on and see if blades are dragging like they do not want to spin. You will here the motor wine when this happens.

·
Head Grunt
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't want to sound stupid, but I wouldn't think it's anything with the compressor outside. Isn't running in winter.
I'll check the filters (should have thought of that). Furnace blower wheel? How would I check that? Or even find it?

I don't get how the way it sits on the floor would affect it now.
But that is probably because I haven't run into this kind of thing before.

·
Head Grunt
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Serious procrastination problem. I finally got around to checking the electrostatic filters. Not too dirty, but I took them out and cleaned them anyway. Can't hurt.

Then I decided, since I have no idea how to do anything with the blower and such that was suggested, to check the humidifier. Usually make sure it's good before the season, clean it out after.

All crusty from minerals and crap. Never been this bad AFTER the season, never mind MID. Took it apart, soaking things in CLR, put it back in.

No sound.

Should have attacked it sooner.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts