Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chippy ?
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I really need to find out what causes this,also if there is anything we can do to make it go away. The house was built in the late 1700's.The clapboards have been replaced in the front,has a moisture barrier,insulation,I scraped, light sand,oil primer,2 top coats of Flood latex solid stain,This is the second stain job on the new wood.The issue is when it rains, of in the morning when there is a little condensation on the home you can see all the studs, as soon as it warms up it goes away. The home owner has had a few paint reps come out and they assured her this would make it go away.She believes the last painter powerwashed the home(8yrs ago) and it's happened ever since.It only happens on the old part of the house,nothing on the newer addition.

Thanks

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I can't remember the term but it is because the studs act as a thermal sink. so they transmit heat in the coolness and vis versa. I am almost 99% positive it has NOTHING to do with the powerwashing. What do the lines look like? Are they dry vs the dew on the siding? This would be my guess at least.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I can't remember the term but it is because the studs act as a thermal sink. so they transmit heat in the coolness and vis versa. I am almost 99% positive it has NOTHING to do with the powerwashing. What do the lines look like? Are they dry vs the dew on the siding? This would be my guess at least.
Thermal bridge (ing). The water got trapped behind the clapboards and show up when it gets hot or humid outside

Send me 2 dolla

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
yes it is from thermal bridging but NOT trapped water. The surface of the exterior wall will have different tempratures because of the variance of density/heat loss of the wall causing the surface to have moisture form in some spots and not others. This as, we all know, is caused by the dew point or the point at which moisture from the air precipitates. The continual presence of this moisture formation will eventualy discolor surfaces of a more absorbant nature permantly.
The remedy is to mitigate the heat loss or deltaT of the structure.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,698 Posts
Thermal bridge (ing). The water got trapped behind the clapboards and show up when it gets hot or humid outside

Send me 2 dolla
That is not the standard fee....ytou should know better..:laughing:

·
Registered
318 Posts
This happened to me on the inside of a home, the framing in the ceilings were showing throughout the whole house. This was brand new home and we had to kill with kilz and topcoat. That seemed to take care of the problem, no more unsightly ceilings studs showing.

In my situation, the builder had framed the house in the winter and apparently didn't get the roof covered. A storm came through and the moisture must have gotten trapped in the attic. The builder was a greenhorn and called me a scam artist on the phone because I charged him an additional 1500 bucks to care of the ceiling problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts