Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a few fire doors lately, from a few different manufacturers, one was TruStile. They all have been 6'7" tall, I don't understand the reason for this. Does anyone know? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can get a fire door nearly any size that you want. That being said, I assume that you bought an "off the shelf" door and it is sized for a residential type threshold.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get a fire door nearly any size that you want. That being said, I assume that you bought an "off the shelf" door and it is sized for a residential type threshold.
It is for residential use. The doors were made to order, from 2 different manufactures. Both said the door had to be 6'7".

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
What is 6'7"? The actual slab height?
That would make sense when you figure thickness of head jamb and sill. Overall unit should be around 81 1/2", normal residential wood frame prehung.

·
pro
102 Posts
great question that I've wondered for years. All steel and fiberglass doors are 79" while wood doors are 80". My guess is that it has to do with the threshold. Steel doors can't be easily cut so they fit into a frame and a threshold prehung while wood doors used to be installed onsite knock down and threshold and copper weatherstripping custom fit on site and the door trimed to fit. Never quite figured it out myself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great question that I've wondered for years. All steel and fiberglass doors are 79" while wood doors are 80". My guess is that it has to do with the threshold. Steel doors can't be easily cut so they fit into a frame and a threshold prehung while wood doors used to be installed onsite knock down and threshold and copper weatherstripping custom fit on site and the door trimed to fit. Never quite figured it out myself.
I don't understand it either. All the doors we're ordered, new pre hung. The doors were all wood. Every door is 6'8" except the fire door. We keep all of our door heads at the same height which presents a problem when the fire door is an inch shorter. The options are to cut all the doors to 6'7" in that area, hang the fire door lower and make the head casing larger or add a piece to the bottom of the fire door. Why? Why can't the fire door just be 6'8' tall?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts