Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember going down this path over caulking, but let's try it again with sanding...

Who is responsible for sanding new woodwork, painters or carpenters?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I remember going down this path over caulking, but let's try it again with sanding...

Who is responsible for sanding new woodwork, painters or carpenters?
Should be spelled out in the contract. I USUALLY see painters as part of thier prep along with caulking,plugging holes etc.

They always say it's thier job to make the carpenters look good.

I would think a quick sand on the installers part wouldn't hurt but back to the wording in the contract as far as responsibility.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I always leave my work ready to paint. Sanded, nails set but not filled. Sometimes it is easier to sand before installing, eg. sheet goods. On filling - it is proper for woodwork to be primed before filling, so that primer gets into the nail holes. If it's going to be stained then the painter matches the filler to the stain.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
just my $.02

Kinda depends on the situation. Moldings etc... the painters, unless you're covering your a$$. (bad miter, running miter) They fill the holes and caulk so they sand and prep everything for paint.

I aim to have my work good enough so that it is good painted or not. It's not always the case, but I don't expect the painters to fix my work.

A lot depends on the attitude and pride the painter has as much as the carpenter.

I've been working with the same painters for 12 years so we're comfortable calling each other out.

I've learned to treat the painters well, they will go an extra mile for you....don't slop a gallon of putty on a window stool and expect them to sand it!

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
depends on the project some of the time and the painter.
some painters ive worked with ***** if they have to sand anything.

typically ill set most of my nails if there obvious. ill sand nail holes on jambs and sils, as i use a 16 gauge for these and make more of a mushroom. i touch sand my mitres as well to make sure there smooth transition

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Basically everyone is correct...Typically as a cabinet/trim contractor I sanded to 100 grit unless there were stipulations to sand more in an agreement. The painter/finish guy (if it's some one else other than myself) is ultimately responsible for the finish which always requires the prefinish substraights to be ready for a finish. In years past I didn't ever finish casework, trim or cabinetry. I usually built everything on site and a painting contractor sanded and finished as per the GCs requirements. Now days I am the general contractor and most cabinetry and trim is stained prior to installation or painted with an airless by my crew or myself.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The painters always do their preparation which includes sanding . The carpenter should sand the split edges on joints seams right after cutting or when installation is complete. But well that is at my end.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Any good painter will sand it and charge for it, or tell the builder that it must be done and isn't in the contract.

Any good carpenter will sand his work and not pass the buck onto the painter.

Its the classic scenerio of buck passing, like drywall, the drywaller says "ahh screw it the mud will cover that" then the mud guy says "ahh screw it the painter will touch that up" then the painter gets there and says "this work is crap aww screw it i'l just paint over it".

·
Registered
42 Posts
I make sure miteres and joints look as it is a direct reflection on me. I sand butt jointed, flat stock casing before applying backband, and sand or scrape anything else. You can also the painter a favor and nail in a wide field rather than near grooves or beads, unless it getting stained.

·
Registered
74 Posts
With interior finish work I'm looking for that "luster" that comes from good prep. My painters do their own sanding (they don't trust the carpenters) including sanding between coats, and include it in their price. I think this puts the responsibility in the right trade.
When I started, the carpenter did all the fill and sand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts