Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started toggling over to DIY a little and noticed a lot of you guys over there too. I've found it fun to help out where I can.

It also helps dispel the unfortunate shady image of contractors that we have to fight against every day. It proves that there really are some good, honest guys out there.

Some of you are using the same screen name over there.

I'm just curious who else is over there.

FOR THE SAKE OF PRIVACY-Please only ID yourself. (and only if you want to)

rselectric1=rselectric1

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Been there once or twice but being part of 5 forums I barely visit more than 2 religiously. This and a truck forum.

Takes to much time to get a post count up and not be the "noob" :laughing:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
CCCo. - Indiana Remodeling Contractor - North Indianapolis, & Surrounding Communitys

CCCo. = CCCo.

I see alot of bad advice given over there from time to time.

If I am knowledgable on the subject at hand, and I see bad advice, I try and lend some good advice, and educate the less fortunate.

The ol' saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink", is commonly displayed on the DIY forum.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
I did my time there but had to leave the dark side. It was very much a case of a DIYer either: 1) having a plan in mind and coming there to verify it. When you disagreed with their plan, it became a fight. 2) already performed a certain task and THEN came there to ask about it.

It was very typical with tile. They did something wrong already and now my advice is to tear something out to do it correctly. Yeah, that goes over like a "how much" question here :laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
OR

you get a wannabe-handy guy in there giving advice to everyone about everything. Those guys are the biggest pains because they'll give out the wrong advice and if you don't reply in time, they send the OP off in the wrong direction. :censored::furious::ban::bangin:

BTW, tell thekctermite Angus said "Hi". He's a really good guy!

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
AND

at least during my time there, the "how much" questions were frowned upon too.

Here's a mod's reply:
"Bottom line is that this is a DO IT YOURSELF site, not a site that is intended for helping you determine what a contractor should cost you. If you decide to do the work on your own, you've come to the right place."

it's like you're damned when it comes to asking a "how much" question! :laughing:

Haven't had the pleasure of hanging out there for a while but there are some famous members (ie MZHandyman). My favorite was Nestor-something-or-other. His replies were INSANELY long and he tried to be uber scientific. It was funny most of the time....until he started suggesting using solvent based chemicals inside. It's pretty hard to get a thread locked there, but he managed....a few times.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
"Willie T" most anywhere I go.

I kind of figure if we are going to bust their chops here, and send them packing for not meeting our required criteria, then a few of us should be willing to do some pro bono time over there.

Doesn't cost me a penny, and I might be helping to groom a future builder. Or at least keeping an accountant or a shop keeper from hurting themselves or foolishly blowing their bank account.

And if I (or anyone else) do make an error in our advice............ that's all the more reason for more of us to drop in there every so often. I pretty well feel none of us knows it all, so two heads are often better than one.

·
The Remodeler
1,535 Posts
Angus said:
My favorite was Nestor-something-or-other. His replies were INSANELY long and he tried to be uber scientific
Hahaha! That has to be Nestor Kelebay... I was on GardenWeb back around 2002-04 and he was always there giving these insane replies to simple paint questions. I left there when homeowners took over the forum and any "pro" advice was immediately challenged. Nestor, however, was run off that site.

I'm not on the DIY site... There's really only two forums where I participate on a daily basis... Hopefully the new moderators here will clean this place up a bit, and I'll participate more. There are so many experienced, skilled tradesmen here that I'd love to talk shop with, but as others have mentioned, most threads here deteriorate to a pissing match before being forgotten or closed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I was helping there but my post got deleted for saying DIYers are to cheap to buy a clue. I was refering to people on craigslist ...guess I'll stay over here.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
AND

Haven't had the pleasure of hanging out there for a while but there are some famous members (ie MZHandyman). My favorite was Nestor-something-or-other. His replies were INSANELY long and he tried to be uber scientific. It was funny most of the time....until he started suggesting using solvent based chemicals inside. It's pretty hard to get a thread locked there, but he managed....a few times.
So what's Scuba_Dave like? Seems he's in a lot of posts.

·
Carpe Diem
20,716 Posts
hahaha! That has to be nestor kelebay... I was on gardenweb back around 2002-04 and he was always there giving these insane replies to simple paint questions. I left there when homeowners took over the forum and any "pro" advice was immediately challenged. Nestor, however, was run off that site.
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,816 Posts
I've dabbled over there a bit under the same screen name. Fortunately, I just don't have the time for it on any regular basis. Nor do I have the time for getting jumped on by "experts" who are totally convinced that the codes and/or building practices in their particular areas are the only right way of doing things.

Overall, it's not a very rewarding experience for me. All kudos to those who do help out there regularly. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts