Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It amazes me that people can drive like such idiots with their company name and number on the side of their vehicle. Construction folks (and there's lots of them in this area), delivery people, etc.

I know we've talked about securing loads and dress code and such, but do you know how well your people act behind the wheel of your company vehicles? Tailgating, speeding, running red lights, cutting people off. What are your policies? Do you check driving records?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
If you are really concerned, put a low paid hourly worker behind the wheel. They will take the longest time from pt.A to pt.B. They will do the speed limit and never run a red light.
I have never established driving policies, never had a need for it. My vans have all of the info on the sides and the rear, ph# twice on each side and have never had a call about this in over 15 yrs. I do hire the best that I can get and schedule so that rushing is rarely required.
If I ran a courier service and had everybody on commission, I would expect a lot of calls.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
If you are really concerned, put a low paid hourly worker behind the wheel. They will take the longest time from pt.A to pt.B. They will do the speed limit and never run a red light.
Yeah....OK.

Teetorbilt said:
I have never established driving policies, never had a need for it.
That's just amazing in this day and age of "risk management" experts. I can barely fart without my insurer's 'Senior Loss Control Consultant' sending me a note about the need to develop this or that written policy. Particularly when it comes to driving.

Teetorbilt said:
I do hire the best that I can get and schedule so that rushing is rarely required.
Hey, now there's a novel concept - hire the best that you can get. Hmmmmm? :confused:

·
Registered
438 Posts
In all of the years of being in business the only time I had someone call was when my son was using one of my trucks.

At 18 I think maybe I should have let him borrow the one unlettered.

BJD

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Neil_K said:
Tailgating, speeding, running red lights, cutting people off.
What have you been following me?!

I don't check records but I do look for a valid drivers license.

I'm probably the worst driver in my company. Or should I say best driver? It's everyone else on the street that sucks.

GET OUT OF MY FRICKIN WAY!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah, Pipe, but Teetor works in the balms of laid back Florida. All ya gotta do there is blame the blue hair for alzheimer's.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
GC, I invite you to take a tour of Palm Beach/Broward/Dade and Monroe counties. I'll look forward to your input upon your return......if you do return.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I've never had a problem with in the past with guys driving my trucks...until this year. Hired my brother, who I know has a bad habit of driving too fast and I preached to him a number of times watch your speed as eveybody in town knows these trucks and I will here about you (brother) screwing up.

The year was going by just fine until last month I had an emergency repair on a Sat., I was racing so called brother to take care of it. Later that night as spectators were getting there and I was hob knobing I heard from 3 different people and three different times about "me" being in a hurry earlier in the day. Guess my truck was doing weeelll over the speed limit and doing the traffic weaving. After 3rd informant I called my brother to see wtf was going on. He admitted driving stupid and acted surprised I found out about it? :rolleyes: Gave him an azz chew'n and told him so long as he's in my trucks with my name on it he will drive like he's supposed to or he can find another job since I dont need any bad publicity.

Not to mention the added wear and tear of guys beating on your stuff....sucks when it comes out of our pockets paying for idiots being idiots.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My truck is out of service and I am getting another one this week,so my girlfriend came and pickde me up today and I tarped off her trunk and put all my hand tools in there and chained my ladders up and off we went. :eek:

SHE WILL NEVER DRIVE ONE OF MY TRUCKS WITH MY NAME ON IT.

Scared the Sh%T out off me,thought she was at M.I.S or something.I am home now and feel much better(molson golden). :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Neil_K said:
It amazes me that people can drive like such idiots with their company name and number on the side of their vehicle. Construction folks (and there's lots of them in this area), delivery people, etc.
Tailgating, speeding, running red lights, cutting people off.
I call the # and complain (nicely)
No offense, but if someone's driving like that with there boss's phone # on the side of the vehicle, they're not the sharpest tool in the shed, and could probably use a reality check
I also believe their boss should know how his company is being represented

Sometimes of course it's the guy driving that answers, and I can get a big "**** ***!!!"
Which is even more intelligent, I just called a business line with a legit complaint and get a big "**** ***!!!"
Nice

I was a transport mgr for a few years
We checked all driving records
If we didn't our ins. co. would
I took all calls on our drivers very seriously
It was pretty funny when they'd get back and you'd say "Driving a little fast on Bokum today huh?"
Always it'd be :eek:
Then the confusion...how'd I find out? I could see it in their faces
They'd never ask that though
I'd say "You're driving around a billboard with my phone number on it...remember that"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts