Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up the Rocko from Trow and Holden, since I apparently can't get through one single job without buying new tools.

I am thinking the 2" to use for rock facing. Do you use it more or less than your hand set?

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
I'd sure like to try one on the rock that we lay around here, not sure if they're meant for my particular environment/material.

·
Stonemason
659 Posts
I bought one.... I 've tried to use it on several occasions but the angle throws me off. I find it difficult ti see my 'line'. I suppose I'm just too used to a hand set.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I got one a few years ago, and ordered the 1" blade. The carbide was not like the chisel pictured on the website. The website shows a carbide with an angle grind, like a chipper...... mine came with a 90* carbide, so it functions exactly like an off-set handset...except with an up-swept head.

For what it is, it is O.K.....but I wanted that Rocko head angle with an angled carbide. I use it when I need the job of a set with a lighter touch.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I dont have one, I use the tracer quite a bit, the chipper, the regular hand set, the smaller chipper and the point. I usually just use the hand set and the chipper for shaping. Or the smaller chipper for focused pounding. Or the TS420 if I get pissed off.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I used the rocko on some bluestone well at a show. it was nice and did a great rock face but I can do the same thing with my hand set. its not a high priority chisel in my book. I will buy lettering tools before a rocko

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
What he said. I haven't used one but form looking at it it looks like a cross between a set and a chipper. I think if you have bot a set and a chipper that would be better, but if you had neither it may be able to sort of do the job of both

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I grabbed a handset from them instead of the Rocko, what a fine addition to the tool bag.

I'm gonna have to keep it hidden though, or someone will grab it at a concrete job and start wailing on asphalt with it or something.

·
298 Posts
I have been experimenting with the chisels I have the last couple of jobs with the soft white rock I have posted pictures of. Starting to get the hang of them and have noticed that they're little bit less labor intensive than just doing it with a hammer like I have forever, but I still do 70% of my shaping with the brick hammer.

Somebody convince me that one of these high dollar chisels :) here will be a drastic improvement over the ones I have and not just be added weight in the bottom of the tool bucket like the ones I have have been for years.
These are my weapons of destruction now.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I have been experimenting with the chisels I have the last couple of jobs with the soft white rock I have posted pictures of. Starting to get the hang of them and have noticed that they're little bit less labor intensive than just doing it with a hammer like I have forever, but I still do 70% of my shaping with the brick hammer.

Somebody convince me that one of these high dollar chisels :) here will be a drastic improvement over the ones I have and not just be added weight in the bottom of the tool bucket like the ones I have have been for years.
These are my weapons of destruction now.
Carbide chisels shine when you are trying to shape hard stone like granite. Based on your location and description of what yo are working with I would guess you have a soft limestone....no carbide necessary for that. If you are getting by with a brick hammer and bolster then why reinvent the wheel? Though one carbide that would work well on soft stone would be a tooth chisel. You can get them as a cold chisel too.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If you get granite you will want some good chisels. I sometimes can get away with using a brick hammer to knock off the stuff sticking out of the face on some stones but in general it is just throwing little pieces of stone everywhere and annoying myself.

·
298 Posts
Mostly all we get around here is the limestone and sandstone. Some of the sandstone is fairly hard but it has striations in it unlike granite, it likes to chip off when trying to cut it against the grain. Watching the videos, and the stone they are using, they just don't look like they would be that great of an improvement for my environment/material.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts