Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,498 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
Mine gets the plastic caught in it, so it doesn't let the gun go back up to reload. Does yours do that? I called Simpson and they acted like I was crazy, the guy goes "do you have it in reverse?" I almost lost it
I am using one on a deck right now and it works flawlessly. Simpson guarantees those for life. Maybe your magazine is a little sloppy you may need a new one, which is probably tighter.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I1KH5O?vs=1

just returned a kobalt fiberglass 20 oz rip hammer to Lowes for a refund after abusing it for almost 3 months :laughing: I also have a 22 oz estwing and 16 oz estwing (got them both for free) but the 16 is just too short, the 22 is too long, and neither have a magnetic nail starter. looked at this hammer in Lowes but it was $27 plus tax. got it off amazon for $21 shipped.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My boss has its twin with the bostitch label on it. I don't like it....handle is too short.

·
Nail-Bender
4,603 Posts
My shop teacher only let us use trim nail guns, everything else was hand drive.

Lucky! In my vocational school, we hand nailed everything.

You ever hand nail a piece of crown by yourself? That chit sucks! :laughing:

Or doors... damn that was no fun, probably where my hatred for hanging doors comes from.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
thought about this thread today.

We have spent the past few days down in Stark County, Ohio out in the middle of no-where working on a slate roof.

We used electric for a total of 4-5 minutes grinding a chimney for new counter flashing-everything else was by hand.

Amish farm 2 doors away. I am sure we saw at least 15-20 buggies every day.

It was quite a change in scenery from Gates Mills and Shaker Heights and Merriman Rd. where we usually work------ but we rarely use electric those places either, LOL.
stephen

·
Registered
66 Posts
hand nailing MDF trim is way harder than pine. the nail holes also swell way more. also you have to be careful hand nailing inside corners because you will crack the drywall really easy. if you do a lot of small jobs that you don't want to drag a compressor in for, a cordless trim nailer is a good investment.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
the quickness of a nail gun cannot be beat and the slowness of a hand driven nail helps to tweak the situation. when fast is needed a nail gun is it but when patience is required then nailing by hand works. for me it is nail a few times with t he gun then bang it a few times with the hammer just for sucking it up tight.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Do you like the 15 ga better than 16 ga for trim? I've only used a 15 once.

·
Registered
541 Posts
15 is a pretty big nail and leaves a big hole. I used to use a 16 gauge for almost everything and then I got a Hitachi 15 gauge gun that I really liked, so I put the 16 away started switching between the 15 and an 18 depending on how nice it had to be. Now the honeymoon is over and I think I'm going to start using the 16 again and save the 15 for outdoor stuff.

·
Boondockian
1,482 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000I1KH5O?vs=1

just returned a kobalt fiberglass 20 oz rip hammer to Lowes for a refund after abusing it for almost 3 months :laughing: I also have a 22 oz estwing and 16 oz estwing (got them both for free) but the 16 is just too short, the 22 is too long, and neither have a magnetic nail starter. looked at this hammer in Lowes but it was $27 plus tax. got it off amazon for $21 shipped.
This Kobalt hammer?

·
Punching above his weight
17,026 Posts
I just bought a Max 15 ga trim nailer for $99. It would have paid for itself on that little job you did yesterday. I have not hand nailed trim in 20 years.
Jokes on you, sucker.

I had nowhere to be yesterday, and I got to keep the 99 dollars!

I kid I kid. Saving up for a Paslode, but since I don't do a lot of production trim work it's really a backburner item for me, especially at ~$300.

41 - 60 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.