Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes that's my point, Most codes require 16 penny nails for studs, and most framing nailer don't take 3 1/2'' nails. I use Vaughan 16 oz and 20 oz hammers, I need to pick up and estwing 16 oz rip claw hammer for demo work.

·
Boondockian
1,482 Posts
Yes that's my point, Most codes require 16 penny nails for studs, and most framing nailer don't take 3 1/2'' nails. I use Vaughan 16 oz and 20 oz hammers, I need to pick up and estwing 16 oz rip claw hammer for demo work.
If I remember right a 16D sinker is 3 1/4'' which was the guns max. A 16D common is 3 1/2"

sinker nails

Steel wire nails with a flat, countersunk head. (Sinkers are also made with a T-shaped head for use in power-driven nail guns.) They have a diamond point and a smooth round shank, and are either bright or cement coated.
Length Gauge
Head diameter, inches, Number in a pound
3d 1 1/8 15½ 0.172 940
4d 1 3/8 14 0.203 530
5d 1 5/8 13½ 0.219 390
6d 1 7/8 13 0.234 290
7d 2 1/8 12½ 0.250 220
8d 2 3/8 11½ 0.266 150
10d 2 7/8 11 0.281 110
12d 3 1/8 10 0.312 81
16d 3¼ 9 0.344 64
20d 3¾ 7 0.375 40
30d 4¼ 6 0.406 30
40d 4¾ 5 0.438 23
60d 5¾ 3 0.500 14
common wire nails

Available in bright or galvanized finishes.
Gauge, Number in a pound, Safe Lateral Load, Resistance to withdrawal in pounds per inch of penetration
perpendicular to the grain, into the main member, in Douglas Fir Required penetration.inches load,pounds,in Douglas Fir
2d 1 15 876
3d 1¼ 14 568
4d 1½ 12½ 316
5d 1¾ 12½ 271
6d 2 11½ 181 1 70 27
7d 2¼ 11½ 161
8d 2½ 10¼ 106 1¼ 100 32
9d 2¾ 10½ 96 32
10d 3 9 69 1½ 120 36
12d 3¼ 9 64 1 5/8 130 36
16d 3½ 8 49 1 5/8 160 40
20d 4 6 31 2 190 48
30d 4½ 5 24 2¼ 230 52
40d 5 4 18 2 1/3 270 56
50d 5½ 3 14 2¾
310 6 2 11 3 360 67 *For nails inserted perpendicular to the grain. For nails driven parallel to the grain or toe-nailed, the load should not be more than 2/3 of the value in column 6.
A useful rule of thumb for estimating safe lateral loads for nails 12d and smaller is to take ten times the pennyweight.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/index_fasteners.htm

·
Boondockian
1,482 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,482 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had to remove a few shingles to try to find a leak, and the boss drags out the air compressor. I'm thinking what is that for, he doesn't think I can hand nail 6 shingles?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I doubt very highly the best gunners can nail plates to studs as well and as fast (sometimes the same thing) as swinging a hammer and nobody gets shot.

Ever seen a carpenter without a hammer? I bet you've seen carpenters without guns!
Not for anything, but I can hand frame walls together faster than anyone I've ever worked alongside of and I can gun them together faster and just as accurately as I can hand nail them.

I was a carpenter without a gun for the first several years of my career in new construction. We hand nailed all the framing, sheathing, wood siding and all interior trim. I got pretty good at all of it and will testify that in every phase of the build, I can do a better job with a gun.

While it's true that the hammer has to come out on occasion, I would never say that hand nailing produces a better job.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Not for anything, but I can hand frame walls together faster than anyone I've ever worked alongside of and I can gun them together faster and just as accurately as I can hand nail them.

I was a carpenter without a gun for the first several years of my career in new construction. We hand nailed all the framing, sheathing, wood siding and all interior trim. I got pretty good at all of it and will testify that in every phase of the build, I can do a better job with a gun.

While it's true that the hammer has to come out on occasion, I would never say that hand nailing produces a better job.
Experience matters. So nailing two members together and the gun doesn't sick em tight what do you do? Use your hammer.

Granted experience guys can properly place nails through plates but more often than not the nails are too close together acting more like a pivot or shot into the floor.

I will run vinyl soffit with a 10oz Stiletto (new work) and use my Senco 1" for all older work.

Matter of preference.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Experience matters. So nailing two members together and the gun doesn't sick em tight what do you do? Use your hammer.

Granted experience guys can properly place nails through plates but more often than not the nails are too close together acting more like a pivot or shot into the floor.

I will run vinyl soffit with a 10oz Stiletto (new work) and use my Senco 1" for all older work.

Matter of preference.
Given an ultimatum of keeping my hammers or keeping my guns, I'd throw the hammers in the river and beat the offending members tight with the back of the gun (and have done that in the past:whistling)

There's no doubt in my mind that I've easily hand driven over a million nails in my lifetime and probably a multiple of that. Same with a gun.

I've seen guys nail plates to the floor with a hammer and miss nails in decking and sheathing as well. Experience is everything when it has to do with anything.

I still hand nail when it's necessary, but it's rarely ever practical in most situations.

BTW, I find it much easier to switch guns rather than switch fasteners...:laughing:

Attachments

Reactions: kiteman

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Given an ultimatum of keeping my hammers or keeping my guns, I'd throw the hammers in the river and beat the offending members tight with the back of the gun (and have done that in the past:whistling)

There's no doubt in my mind that I've easily hand driven over a million nails in my lifetime and probably a multiple of that. Same with a gun.

I've seen guys nail plates to the floor with a hammer and miss nails in decking and sheathing as well. Experience is everything when it has to do with anything.

I still hand nail when it's necessary, but it's rarely ever practical in most situations.

BTW, I find it much easier to switch guns rather than switch fasteners...:laughing:
Dang boy look at those guns!
Rat runs/ strong backs another must for a hammer.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Dang boy look at those guns!
Rat runs/ strong backs another must for a hammer.
That's basically the cordless collection. I have another 30 or so pneumatics when a compressor is more practical, which seems like never pretty much.:laughing:

·
pro
326 Posts
I call em hand bangers, and on my crew as the ol timers that I basically was taught the trade from, always said "a good carpenter loads up his bags every mourning". Well a smart carpenter uses a gun for production, but they still have there use, hence why I buy em. Guns don't seem to draw things together nice and tight at times, plate to stud, headers to king stids, jacks etc.... Plus we tack/straighten joists/studs/rafters all sheathing with handbangers and the gunner follows behind..just my way of doing things

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If a guy has a set of bags on, good bet there's nails in them for a reason.
Or boxes of 60s. I even handnail the 10s when doing post/frame as even if they make guns for those length/type of nails, the nailing is too spaced out to make it practical to haul hoses around anyway. Running trusses too, almost all hand nailing for all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I hand drove stainless steel nails ring shank in decking boards on a 400 sqft porch for two reasons 1 I ran a string on each run bringing each nail to it for straight nail pattern not possible with gun plus wanted all nails flush. Man was my arm sore for days

·
Super Moderator
46,526 Posts
Smithanator said:
I hand drove stainless steel nails ring shank in decking boards on a 400 sqft porch for two reasons 1 I ran a string on each run bringing each nail to it for straight nail pattern not possible with gun plus wanted all nails flush. Man was my arm sore for days
It is possible if you use this, for screws anyway Machine Tool

21 - 40 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.