Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Some things still need to be hand nailed. One of my pet peeves is watching someone shooting something a hundred times and it still isn't tight. Like headers. The nails before the nail going in are holding the members apart.

I doubt very highly the best gunners can nail plates to studs as well and as fast (sometimes the same thing) as swinging a hammer and nobody gets shot.

Ever seen a carpenter without a hammer? I bet you've seen carpenters without guns!

The perfect sound of a 16 being set. Tick booouuche.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Not for anything, but I can hand frame walls together faster than anyone I've ever worked alongside of and I can gun them together faster and just as accurately as I can hand nail them.

I was a carpenter without a gun for the first several years of my career in new construction. We hand nailed all the framing, sheathing, wood siding and all interior trim. I got pretty good at all of it and will testify that in every phase of the build, I can do a better job with a gun.

While it's true that the hammer has to come out on occasion, I would never say that hand nailing produces a better job.
Experience matters. So nailing two members together and the gun doesn't sick em tight what do you do? Use your hammer.

Granted experience guys can properly place nails through plates but more often than not the nails are too close together acting more like a pivot or shot into the floor.

I will run vinyl soffit with a 10oz Stiletto (new work) and use my Senco 1" for all older work.

Matter of preference.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Given an ultimatum of keeping my hammers or keeping my guns, I'd throw the hammers in the river and beat the offending members tight with the back of the gun (and have done that in the past:whistling)

There's no doubt in my mind that I've easily hand driven over a million nails in my lifetime and probably a multiple of that. Same with a gun.

I've seen guys nail plates to the floor with a hammer and miss nails in decking and sheathing as well. Experience is everything when it has to do with anything.

I still hand nail when it's necessary, but it's rarely ever practical in most situations.

BTW, I find it much easier to switch guns rather than switch fasteners...:laughing:
Dang boy look at those guns!
Rat runs/ strong backs another must for a hammer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.