Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several posts that talk about the only thing being sold at $1.00/sq.ft is low quality junk.

That isnt true, you guys are thinking from a wrong point of view.

Let me ask you this, how much do you know about the difference between Pergo and Kronotex for example? Pergo and Kronotex use the same machines, same wood, and same techniques to make laminate, both are imprted from Germany.

What is the difference you might ask? There isnt any except for color and a false sense of quality. Why? Because Pergo for I belive about 4 or 5 years was the first and the only company in U.S. to bring laminate flooring from Germany when it was first invented. So naturaly most of the people think that Pergo is the best laminate ever made. If any of you can read or know someone that can read German, visit a German contractor forum or some related web page, Pergo is nothing in Germany. German market is dominated by Krono and Classen, there is also Horizon but they are still not on the top yet.

I get my flooring from Eurolaminate, these guys run simply a warehouse and nothing else, they import directly and dont give u as much BS as other companies do. Their prices are around $1/sq.ft. And from personal experience, their Classen and Krono and NOT seconds, infact its better than what any local store sells in Cleveland.

Home depo for example has a HUGE amount of expenses that are built into every single item in their store.

Online companies basically run an office and a warehouse, some drop ship and dont stock anything and have minimum orders. Others stock and import directly, have no minimum orders, and let others drop ship from them.

These online companies and Home depot or Lewes get their laminate at the same price, except the online companies do not have as many expenses.

Do you really think it costs $2 or even $1 to just MANUFACTURE 1sq.ft? NO, it costs about $0.30-.50/sq.ft

The company is still operational and is doing great, check it out, www.eurolaminate.com, kronotex costs $0.95/sq.ft there with no minimum order because those guys stock everything and import directly.

To be honest, my friend works in that company and they get the Krono for 0.78 including delivery to the warehouse from Germany! those are container prices of course but still.

These guys dont have nearly as much expenses as a local store, nor do they have to worry about sales tax because most of the business is out of state.

If any of you ever installed Kronotex or Classen and had a bad experience with it, please post. I highly doubt that there will be even 1 person that thinks Kronotex and Classen are any worse than Pergo.

When a company gets as big and as popular as Pergo, they stop caring about quality. You think you pay for quality when in reality you pay for the name.

Im not saying Pergo is bad, i had couple of jobs with it and had no problems at all, but its not THE best product out there.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
good points, but your wrong in some areas.

do you know what Pergo Select is?

then tell me why it's the same as Kronotex.
and don't tell me cause it is made the same, cause Pergo Select is NOT.

you have valid points when talking about cheap LAMINATES.
But it would seem you know not, when it comes to the highest quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Water scares me with any laminates. I think they should be water resistant 100% before they are king. Maybe some are; i'm still concerned with laminates. Everytime I see laminate in a home it has flaws. Normally everytime i see it. And most of it, is from water or pet urine. Although i never ask what brand of flooring it is. laminates have the issue that could be addressed. But if it was made to last forever we would be out of business. And the manufacturer's would sell less. Go figure. They have problems that are the consumers fault when it comes to water. So the customer has made the mistake and takes the blame. So naturally they will buy more and try to avoid doing it again.
We flew to the moon along time ago. Why can't we flood a laminate floor and it not fall apart? Maybe because it would only sell to the consumer once. Laminates are all like cars. As soon as it breaks down you buy another one. Laminates are registering at the stock market some where. But it all could be better. no matter which company is making it these days.
Not a big fan of the laminate technology yet, unless they have something new. And that could be. Always something new...

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
good points, but your wrong in some areas.

do you know what Pergo Select is?

then tell me why it's the same as Kronotex.
and don't tell me cause it is made the same, cause Pergo Select is NOT.

you have valid points when talking about cheap LAMINATES.
But it would seem you know not, when it comes to the highest quality.
:thumbsup: Right on target.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually just read a lot, but had to jump in on this one. We sell and install Pergo laminates 90% above all others. We have NEVER had a claim and I think the key is that we steer folks away from the basic, lower end product and we install it right. I have even had Pergo in my home, different rooms and different products since '94. In fact, had the 1st floor ever intalled in Arizona. Kids are gone so we are now moving to engineered wood for its superior beauty, but don't diss the Pergo guys. True story....our dishwasher overflowed about 5 years ago and flooded 17 x 36 ft area of Pergo. It buckled, it banana'd, it wicked the entire length of the room. Then, you ask? It dried out, laid down flat and left me two small gaps at the end of two planks. How can I not support this product?! I believe you get what you pay for in any product...go cheap and you get cheap. No one should be buying or installing a $1.00 s/f foot laminate or wood product....Uuuughhh!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Usually just read a lot, but had to jump in on this one. We sell and install Pergo laminates 90% above all others. We have NEVER had a claim and I think the key is that we steer folks away from the basic, lower end product and we install it right. I have even had Pergo in my home, different rooms and different products since '94. In fact, had the 1st floor ever intalled in Arizona. Kids are gone so we are now moving to engineered wood for its superior beauty, but don't diss the Pergo guys. True story....our dishwasher overflowed about 5 years ago and flooded 17 x 36 ft area of Pergo. It buckled, it banana'd, it wicked the entire length of the room. Then, you ask? It dried out, laid down flat and left me two small gaps at the end of two planks. How can I not support this product?! I believe you get what you pay for in any product...go cheap and you get cheap. No one should be buying or installing a $1.00 s/f foot laminate or wood product....Uuuughhh!!
I bought the cheap stuff from Costco, had a leak in a wateline, it buckled & tweeked like crazy, then after it dried out (a week later) it layed back down, 3 years later, can't even tell!!

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
simply put...

The more expensive products (flooring or otherwise) will have a better chance at performing.
Luck can still play a part you know.

I bought a beater Subaru as my first vehicle and saved money.
it drove fine for a year.
I had a buddy who bought new and had issues, and a large payment.
I was in the minority.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts