Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I give a customer an estimate to change out there handrails from wood to Trex. Then I go to the city and turn in all the Trex Glass panel railing info, including all the engineering reports that show all the testing that my rails can span 6' on center. This meets the 200lb rule and the 50lb rule on the glass infill. So getting approved I can tell will be done right over the counter. Just as I'm leaving he says the posts are 5' on center right? I say they will be built no more then what's specified in the reports. He says I want to see all of them no more then 5' then he writes that in red ink on the prints. :eek: that phucker caused havoc to my price.

Here's the issue, now there will be a considerable amount of more posts because of the way the layout is. That means each extra railing bay cost for materials, is about 4 hundred dollars. Each post has a post light on it and the kits and post will run about three hundred dollars. I figure it will be about 1500 to 2000 dollars more for the rails.

I'm also replacing all the deck boards as well because whoever put down the last composite used liquid nails and very few screws. The whole job is around 30,000 bucks. Is this railing change I had no way of knowing was going to happen, an extra? Or should I have to eat it?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Munch munch, chew chew Gulp.

Or if you can come up with one like this >> on a one million five house over a living area. Plywood over joist then the general tiled it. >>

Of course it came all undone like looking in a fun house mirror . His excuse ? Earth quakes.

Tell the Wallet what happened it doesn't hurt to try !

J.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Here bite down on this I hear it helps:

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Kent Whitten said:
Our response when I lived in Washington was something along the line of "so you personally are taking all liability over manufacturer specs?" or at the time it was engineering. Didn't work much.
Oh I tried to get him to back peddle but it was like staring at a ghost. He didn't budge. I was going to duck down under the radar and just replace the rails without a permit and get the hell out of there. I also told the HO all this honestly. He was happy as well he said yeah, go for it. Until the damn earthquake hit. Then I get a call from the HO the day before I was going to start and he says the city inspectors and 4 of their engineers were out here going house to house so maybe we should get the permits. I say no worries I'll go pull them tomorrow.

Really isn't a big deal, except for the time and the 900 bucks for the permit fee. ( Which he agreed to pay and also for my time, and the drawing I made up) Not to mention the tax assessment that will go along with it. Now the extra rail costs!

One more note I excluded all of the permit fees and governmental fees on the original contract and wrote that if there is any fees pertaining to this it would be an extra.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,774 Posts
I'm sorry sir. I priced everything out to manufacturers specs. I brought the plans down to the town hall and they are not following the specs but making me over build it. Do to the state regulations I have to do as they say or it will be denied during inspection. This will require XX amount more in materials...Blah blah blah....

Why do you need to eat it? Unless it's a deal breaker and you were going to make enough profit to overcome the losses I'd say make them pay for it. You didn't right the regulations and apparently the inspector isn't following the standard practice of following the manufacturers specs.

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just wanting to see what the pros would do? I just got off the phone with the HO and he's cool with it. However when I first posted this, I didn't know he was cool with it.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,591 Posts
I had a HO call and raise hell at the city once and they rescinded AFTER reviewing the specs. Don't know you're relationship with the owner but mine agreed that if it was legit govt BS that made cost go up and not my lack of foresight, he would split the extra cost.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Being a professional deck installer shouldn't you have known this before presenting a price?

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Inner10 said:
Being a professional deck installer shouldn't you have known this before presenting a price?
Nope, it's not required by anyone nor is it code nor is it required by the decking manufacturer. Nor have I had to do this before with this city. It was one engineer with one opinion. It was literally written into the plan with his red pen. I will get a picture.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
on 30K you swallow the cost, its only $400, then again $400 to let the HO know should be peanuts

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rotarex said:
on 30K you swallow the cost, its only $400, then again $400 to let the HO know should be peanuts
You didn't read it correctly it's 400 bucks per extra bay of railing it will come out to about 2000 bucks. And even if it was only 400 bucks why would I want to swallow the cost? It's not of my doing nor could I have known.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Nope, it's not required by anyone nor is it code nor is it required by the decking manufacturer. Nor have I had to do this before with this city. It was one engineer with one opinion. It was literally written into the plan with his red pen. I will get a picture.
So in no way should you have verified this before sending off the proposal?

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inner10 said:
So in no way should you have verified this before sending off the proposal?
I had verification from other jobs I did with this city and the code book they claim to adhere to. Also when I told him that they didn't require it on other jobs he said the other engineer got it wrong. Here's a picture.

Text Diagram Drawing Room Sketch

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I had verification from other jobs I did with this city and the code book they claim to adhere to. Also when I told him that they didn't require it on other jobs he said the other engineer got it wrong. Here's a picture.
Yeah no reason you should have to eat that.

·
GC/carpenter
44,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Inner10 said:
Yeah no reason you should have to eat that.
I think the city engineer was playing an authority game with me. They can be asses like that.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
BTW whats the joist size on the deck your doing? also are you blocking and screwing down to the deck or using a regular 4x4pt with a sleeve?
because same thing happen here with one of my jobs.

my typical span is 6' on all rails but the inspector said that rails can span as far as they want, but whats the material made out of and how strong is the post on each end and hows it all attached.................which made sense but i hate going over 6ft

1 - 20 of 33 Posts