Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I,m puttin up a 2 car garage for a customer and were almost done. Garage doors went up on Tues. and on Wens. the customer tells me that while playing with the new doors the slide lock got caught on the track and now the electric opener does not work. After inspecting the doors I find that the track is now bent and binding the door. I have told the customer that I would call the door company back for the repairs and if there was a charge that they would be responsable for the charges. I also informed them not to play with any other items until we had a walk through so I could show them proper use of all aspects of the new garage, Hot tub, lights, ect. they were ok with that but they did point out that it was their house and they would be walking through to inspect the work as it was completed. Now do I ad a new clause to my contract so it doesn't happen again? or do I tell each new customer not to touch anything? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I would no doubt have this covered in the contract. Contracts are for exactly the reason you are posting, for spelling out who does what, who pays for what and who is responsible for what. With the customers signature he is acknowledging and accepting responsibility for understanding the terms.

At least you don't have any issues with him paying for the repair - with his attitude of it's my house he is owning up to being responsible for paying for what he breaks.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
magnum said:
they were ok with that but they did point out that it was their house and they would be walking through to inspect the work as it was completed.
I'd be sure that it's clear to them that the garage door was not completed, otherwise there's room for them to say that it didn't work properly - and you'll be the one paying to fix it.
My contracts always define a point at which my work is 'substantially complete' that is to say, as a practical matter, the work is done. Before that time the Owner has no business using or otherwise operating the improvements. If an owner was to operate something and break it before that time then they'd have to pay me (including OH&P) to fix it. If some aspect of the work gets handed over before the entire job then the terms for that are layed out in the contract.
My contracts always have a date by which I'll be done also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts