Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my 4 cylinder Sonoma. It'll get near 30 mpg highway, and it has just enough room to hall my tools. I've been able to put quite a lot on the ladder racks. I also installed 1,000 pounds helper springs to assist with heavy loads. I'd like a bigger truck, but I can't beat the economy of this one. Anybody else use a "mini" truck as their main work vehicle?

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
the original style dodge sprinter had a smaller 5 cylinder diesel and were capable of getting mid to upper 20's. I've considered getting a VW TDI front clip and welding on a van onto the back-hauling tools to 45mpg is a nice dream :thumbup:.

on the realistic side, the late 80's style suburban's w/ the 6.2 diesel engine, while under powered were good for the mid to upper 20's in fuel mileage.

BTW, nice clean truck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
the original style dodge sprinter had a smaller 5 cylinder diesel and were capable of getting mid to upper 20's. I've considered getting a VW TDI front clip and welding on a van onto the back-hauling tools to 45mpg is a nice dream :thumbup:.

on the realistic side, the late 80's style suburban's w/ the 6.2 diesel engine, while under powered were good for the mid to upper 20's in fuel mileage.

BTW, nice clean truck :thumbsup:
It's a shame VW dont do the transporter sportline over here. Now thats a nice van.

The one below does 0-60 in 5.1 secs and top speed of 170mph

I need a V8 though as my trailer is pretty dam heavy and the mountains around here would kill a 4 banger.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
My mini truck is a 99 S10.. I have literally rebuilt it in the 4 yrs of ownership. I wanted a Ranger when I got this, I got it (clean body) with 200k on the clock with shell for $850.00. I couldn't pass it up. Two weeks ago I started looking at rangers again. I am a Ford guy anyway..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mini truck is a 99 S10.. I have literally rebuilt it in the 4 yrs of ownership. I wanted a Ranger when I got this, I got it (clean body) with 200k on the clock with shell for $850.00. I couldn't pass it up. Two weeks ago I started looking at rangers again. I am a Ford guy anyway..
That's kinda funny. I was actually looking for a manual 4 cylinder Ranger as well when I found this.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
That's kinda funny. I was actually looking for a manual 4 cylinder Ranger as well when I found this.
gm happens to the best of us :laughing: :thumbsup: They are a NICE looking truck though..

G

·
very sp. vehicle ,,,in this forum question....question is not so awesome but you this giant mini awesome truck is best,,,,,,,,,whats its name you have,...........

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 Nissan Frontier XE, 4cyl, 5spd, 26mpg. It's basic, but hard to beat the economy. Back when gas was pushing $5/gal I had guys trying to trade me their full size trucks. As much as I'd like a full size truck, I just can't convince myself to upgrade. Although, as my business grows, I'll have to eventually. This truck will stay in the fleet for a long time though. I love it.

Attachments

·
native floridian
119 Posts
i like my little six cylinder.. but it also has 600 foot pounds of torque and 18mpg

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yes, I drive a four cylinder compact Toyota. I've never been a fan of using a large vehicle for a work truck, I don't understand why people use them. You have not only the gas millage problem, but wouldn't it be hard to find a place to park on job sites? Parking is often scarce on a job, it would drive me crazy if I had a large vehicle.

Every now and then I suppose a large vehicle would be nice for hauling material, but it's not worth it. I've been thinking about getting a Toyota Highlander for work, they have hybrid engines and look just big enough to haul all the tools I need. But I would need a garage to park it in first, SUV's can be broken into too easily.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts