Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My back is getting to a point where I am going to have to make some changes if I'm going to continue this for another 8 or 10 years. Im thinking going to an apron. It will lighten up the load on some days. There will be times I have no choice but to wear my bags, but days that I do railing and actually decking, I think I can get away with just a tape, square, pencil, and fasteners. I'm thinking I might get away with just an apron.

Anyone out there wear a shop type apron, if so what's your setup?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
griz said:
I do like that it's Duluth, however it doesn't look like a speed square would stay put. I've looked at a lot of them without this feature. It would be really cool if it had a slot like on the oxy's for a speed square. If I can't find one I think those are the ones I will get, and maybe alter them a bit. Possibly talk Mrs CaliDecks in breaking out the sewing machine. That may be a long shot. :laughing:

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KennMacMoragh said:
Have you looked at the Occidental vests?
Yes I did look at Oxy's I looked at this one, but no place for a square. That's an important tool I use for everything. As most of us do.

image-3172112302.jpg

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Californiadecks said:
Yes I did look at Oxy's I looked at this one, but no place for a square. That's an important tool I use for everything. As most of us do.
Crap, I was thinking about getting one too. Maybe get used to using a combination square?

·
Super Moderator
24,734 Posts
With your warm climate you may not care for an apron or vest.

Why not a smaller/lighter set of bags?

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
griz said:
With your warm climate you may not care for an apron or vest. Why not a smaller/lighter set of bags?
That is a great point,I though about this a lot. I could wear them only in the winter months. At least it's some reprieve. But you are absolutely correct it would not be worth it in the spring or summer. the lighter bags may be an option. :thumbsup: I have to do something my back is getting bad. I'm only a buck fifty five. So when I carry around another 30 - 50 lbs it's a big issue.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brutus said:
you could always put your square in your back pocket of your pants.
This is probably it. Either the back pock or my back waste band.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WarnerConstInc. said:
50lbs of crap in your nail bags? You keep bricks in there?
I'll bet the bags alone weigh 25 lbs. Then with tools and fasteners I'm really not sure. I carry the minimal stuff. Like a hammer, chalk box, catspaw, two chisels, tape, nail set, container of screw gun bits and tips. Blowgun pencils and sharpie. Razor knife. I will weigh them. I'll get back to on that.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Rustbucket said:
How about some Bjornklader or Blaklader work pants?
I was thinking the same thing but since he's in Cali might as get the shorts. The faceline link has them. I've bought from them before and I think they are out of CA too.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RobertCDF said:
I'd just do a second bag setup. I used to have a setup for decking but now I just empty certain things out (if I even get in the field), that and having the titanium hammer, and cats paw helps, I also added suspenders a number of years ago and I LOVE suspenders now.
I know suspenders work for most, but they hurt my back even worse. I think it's because I went from all the weight being below my waste to all the weight hanging from my shoulders and my back taking the brunt of it. I think that's a good idea to start unloading everything but the bare necessities.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts