Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I use it for sharpening bits and blades. But mostly just random all purpose use. The one I have vibrates like a mo fo.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlsconstruction said:
I have a dewalt I got for free because they thought is was broken. I like it.
Did it look like this? It actually got good reviews.

Tool Machine Bench grinder

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Sometimes I use it for sharpening bits and blades. But mostly just random all purpose use. The one I have vibrates like a mo fo.
Vibrations are caused by imbalance in the rotating assembly. Try replacing the wheels.

Here's a video of a grinder like mine. Only mine doesn't have the light, water tray, or shields. I think mine os the 1/3 HP model he talks about.

As far as fixing the vibration issue, here's a few videos. Its a machinists repair of a new grinder with serious vibration issues.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Funny this thread should pop up today. I just bought a new bench grinder yesterday! I got a 6" Delta, which I'm sure us borderline POS, but I'm just using it for wire wheels anyway. I also have a 25 year old Craftsman which is also borderline. Works fine and is smooth, but underpowered.

I'm looking to get one more to actually use as a grinder. I'm looking at 8" units with about 3/4 - 1 HP. Would love to get a Baldor, but I'm not dropping $600 on one of those. I'm considering a Metabo on Amazon. It seems to be one of few with decent reviews. I really like the 8" for the wider wheels. If your planning on using it for sharpening chisels, etc. you should consider upgrading the wheels. The ones that are typically included are too agressive.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rustbucket said:
Funny this thread should pop up today. I just bought a new bench grinder yesterday! I got a 6" Delta, which I'm sure us borderline POS, but I'm just using it for wire wheels anyway. I also have a 25 year old Craftsman which is also borderline. Works fine and is smooth, but underpowered. I'm looking to get one more to actually use as a grinder. I'm looking at 8" units with about 3/4 - 1 HP. Would love to get a Baldor, but I'm not dropping $600 on one of those. I'm considering a Metabo on Amazon. It seems to be one of few with decent reviews. I really like the 8" for the wider wheels. If your planning on using it for sharpening chisels, etc. you should consider upgrading the wheels. The ones that are typically included are too agressive.
I use it to sharpen large twist bits, 5/8, 9/16, and 3/4" those bits are expensive and sharpening them myself saves a lot of time and money. I too don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I would be willing to spend 300 bucks tops. Maybe that's not reasonable. Thanks Rust I am checking out the Metabo as we speak.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have a Delta 6" and a couple 6" Ryobis. The Delta's better - I have grinding wheels on it, and wire brushes and polishing pads on the Ryobis. I use them all a lot. I sharpen bits that are too big for my Drill Doctor on the Delta.

The only reason to get something bigger or better is if you're grinding big lawnmower blades, or axes, or shaping metal, and want to lean into it some. The small units are more than enough to sharpen a 1" twist bit.

Edit: If need actual grinding on flat blades - chisels, plane blades, etc. - I use a Makita horizontal wet stone. Jointer and planer blades can be sharpened on it, too, but I usually just pay to have them sharpened.

·
GC/carpenter
44,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CarpenterSFO said:
I have a Delta 6" and a couple 6" Ryobis. The Delta's better - I have grinding wheels on it, and wire brushes and polishing pads on the Ryobis. I use them all a lot. I sharpen bits that are too big for my Drill Doctor on the Delta. The only reason to get something bigger or better is if you're grinding big lawnmower blades, or axes, or shaping metal, and want to lean into it some. The small units are more than enough to sharpen a 1" twist bit. Edit: If need actual grinding on flat blades - chisels, plane blades, etc. - I use a Makita horizontal wet stone. Jointer and planer blades can be sharpened on it, too, but I usually just pay to have them sharpened.
Thanks Bob, I have a work sharp for chisels. Does that delta vibrate very much?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I'm pretty sure all Baldor grinders are still made in the USA. BTW, they sell them up to 14" in diameter, if you need something imposing to put on your workbench.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Here's real grinder at ~3:16.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't forget to buy yourself a nice "green wheel" for your new bench grinder so you can sharpen all those TG tipped masonry bits, I haven't had to buy a masonry bit for years.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use it to sharpen large twist bits, 5/8, 9/16, and 3/4" those bits are expensive and sharpening them myself saves a lot of time and money. I too don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I would be willing to spend 300 bucks tops. Maybe that's not reasonable. Thanks Rust I am checking out the Metabo as we speak.[/QUOTE Mike for all of my drill bits up to 3/4 I use the Drill DR.A High speed grinder will burn a bit. I also have a Tormek for everything else. The reason I don't use the Tormek for bits is The Jig is a lot of Money and I already had the Drill DR.and the Drill DR also has a holder for Left Handed Bits.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
I have a 8" delta that is about 10 years old. It had seen hard use when I had a metal fab shop. It is great for how cheap it was.

Cole

1 - 20 of 26 Posts