Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there still using felt on roofs? If so, what are your reasons? I am recieving conflicting reports about the need for felt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The code here does not call out for felt or underlayment, hence the reason for this question.

Thanks for such an answer, it was very insightful. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I use a synthetic underlayment, goes down faster, stays on better and dries in the roof eliminating the need to tarp.

Is the use of underlayment still an item of debate? I thought that was settled ten years ago. People were sure stupid in the nineties.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
The code here does not call out for felt or underlayment, hence the reason for this question.

Thanks for such an answer, it was very insightful. :thumbsup:
You can put shingles or tiles right on the sheathing where you live?:blink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, some are telling me no felt/underlayment is fine, others say the thought alone is crazy. I am trying to wade through the fact/ficton. Thanks for the help.

In other words- can shingles be applied to bare wood?

The shingle brand makes it sound like an option as well.

GAF Timberlines.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I assume from his screen name he's from Maine where I live. Except for our major cities, you can do almost whatever you feel like. The few simple roofs I have done, they have felt.

I'm not positive since I really don't educate myself on roofing but I thought if you do not put felt or something under, then you void any warranty. I might be full of ****, that's what I was told.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Actually it depends upon what your code says but if your governing authority uses the 2006 irc it depends on what "roofing" you are installing. The irc says under metal sheet roofing that you must follow the manufacturers installation recommendations. If the manufacturer says the metal is to be installed over felt...then it must be installed over felt by code.

"conflicting reports" are irrelevent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input, but I still cannot find anywhere on Timberlines website that says I am required to put felt down. They even show bare plywood in some of their photos.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The Irc R905 seems to indicate underlayment felt is required under asphalt shingles. Bitumin membrane can be substituted if you desire and is required in some instances.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
Sales Estimator/ Project Manager
9,893 Posts
I've torn off roofs with and without felt. The roof decks with no felt are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS in bad shape and typically need replaced.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
ya it is not a requirement here either. A lot of new homes don't have it anyhow. Especially in the rural areas. In fact some roofers i have used in the past said they only use felt to help the guy doing the tear off in the future. it doesn't stick to the sheathing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
So, what exactly does the felt do then?
I'ts another layer of moisture resistance separating the substrates subject to damage from the elements....because its required by code it keeps clients from suing your shorts off in the event of damage caused by it's absense.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It also keeps the roof sheathing from sucking the asphalt from the shingle. Perhaps urban legend, but probably not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I believe I saw you question on another forum (related to water) and posted my response there. If you're going to lay shingles, why not put felt or some sort of underlayment down? For what it cost and the time it takes to install, just do it. Something of such a small magnitude isn't worth the time to question.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts