Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,931 Posts
I don't agree.

If we walk into your job you can best believe it will be taken care of,,prepped,protected and cared for..

you are no different to me.if a HO hires or you..you are on in the same.

your job and the HO's home is cared for new construction, remodel or existing home

not always happily..but done.
because that is what a professional does.

not one of our GCs prep for us..even when they say they will.and this is why they pay the same bill as anyone else.
if we damage paint,carpets,cabinets etc.because the GC should have protected it and didnt..and we failed to after the fact..I would be broke
:thumbsup: You are a pro.

If my above post implied I believe ALL subs are irresponsible, that wasnt my intent. But just like any profession, there are a few who dont think about a finished product or occupied home in the proper fashion. Personally, I dont take the chance. My crew preps before the subs arrive. They know what I want and how I want it performed.

If I didn't have it prepped, you can believe I would give notice to the sub before it was time to do the work, and I would expect to pay for the prep. For me personally, it is more economical and gives me peace of mind for my guys to do the prep.

Not to say the subs can just have a field day and do whatever they want to the clients property on my project :no:

I hire pros, and I treat them as such. I assume they expect me to be a pro as the builder. If my plumber is going to sauter in a finished cabinet on a remodel, the cabinet will be prepped before his arrival. And so on.

·
Registered
851 Posts
still dont think im to blame......builder is just horrible and doesnt care to prep a house

i said im sorry because when she shows you rust splatter on doors and rust splatter on her belongings you obviously have to apologize....i felt sorry for her...and we cleaned up our mess as best as possible......i still think its the builders fault

he does no prep, he doesnt show up at 7am when i start on a 74 hour project(who does that), he says he would have been angry if i pulled off.....after all this he still did no prep, he hired demo guys who didnt finish their jobs, so i had to put up plastic and demo some plaster...........

it wont happen again.....now i know the builder better.....i feel sorry for his customers

i did a awesome job.....it was by far the most difficult repipe ive ever done x2 or x3....

now i sit back and wait for pay day

next time i repipe a mansion for this builder im going to tack on another $1,000 for cleanup/prep
I've agreed with Huggy thru most of this. Seems some on the board want him to assume the GC role when he's not. None of my subs clear basments or set dust barriers. My men do that in advance and the responsibility is mine. Possibly the water management should of been better.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,843 Posts
I've agreed with Huggy thru most of this. Seems some on the board want him to assume the GC role when he's not. None of my subs clear basments or set dust barriers. My men do that in advance and the responsibility is mine. Possibly the water management should of been better.
I sure wish the GC's set the dust barriers when I come in to sand a floor. That's my responsibility.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I sure wish the GC's set the dust barriers when I come in to sand a floor. That's my responsibility.
I wish they would put drop sheets down for me and clean up after as well.

The only thing I can think is some people were raised in a household where they could make a mess and the maid would clean up after them. The rest of us got smacked with a wooden spoon if we didn't clean up our own mess.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm not sure what everyone else is saying. But regardless of what others did or didn't do, and whose responsibilty this or that was...My point is, you are responsible for your actions and any collateral damage that may result from those actions. The homeowner shouldn't have to suffer or have to participate in the blame game.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
My impression is that what Jaws is saying is that no matter whose job it is to move and cover and protect stuff it's always the GC's responsibility to make sure that everyone knows and follows the program. I agree with that and I don't delegate that responsibility to anyone. Maybe John doesn't mean that but who has time to read the whole thread?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Everybody is responsible in Huggy's case. Both himself and the GC. Huggy because he should know better, he's the plumber. They knew what happens when you drain systems.

The GC is responsible for his subs actions. However that does not relieve a plumber's responsibility for starting a job that was not properly prepared for "water" to be near anything of value.

Knowingly going ahead and doing work in an area that your actions will cause damage in - IS WRONG

This whole "thing" is why F%cking frequently precedes Plumber/s.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.