Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
You shouldn't have done the job if it wasn't ready!, or well move it and here is the change order.

He didn't show up till 10 that doesn't mean his phone wouldn't work at seven!

People need to take responsibility, admitting when yoyes wrong takes balls. Get some.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
How is it not your job to protect things and clean up after yourself?

This one's on you kid, you are wrong you screwed up.

I don't understand the mentality where contractors don't think it's their jobs to protect things or clean up after themselves.

This right here.

I always tell people that my most used tool is a broom and a shop-vac.

It does sound like the homeowner is a bit of a clueless :censored: who has watched too much DIY. Either way, prep time should have been covered in the contract.

I hope you didn't destroy a yard sale painting that she thinks is priceless.

·
The Remodeler
1,536 Posts
Another vote here for Huggy's at fault.

No one here would expect him to tarp the whole basement. He's using the excuse that the GC was in a hurry and would be pissed if the job came to a standstill... But where is it now? At a standstill with a pissed off homeowner.

I'd kick him off my project too. Sorry Huggy, should have called the GC at 7am when you saw what the basement looked like.

Common sense really isnt that common anymore.

·
Super Moderator
30,089 Posts
We have beat Huggy up pretty good, saying the same thing over and over. I think he gets the point.

The GC is a dunce, rookie or an absentee PC, though, imo. Doesnt excuse Huggys screw up, but maybe another rookie is watching this thread. Never assume anything. If your the GC, you are the one held accountable. At least the GC realizes he is the one who needs to deal with the HO.

We all screw up, hoss. Its how you react and what you do when the screw up goes down that defines a great deal of your reputation. Passing the buck won't get you far , in my experience.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
We have beat Huggy up pretty good, saying the same thing over and over. I think he gets the point.

The GC is a dunce, rookie or an absentee PC, though, imo. Doesnt excuse Huggys screw up, but maybe another rookie is watching this thread. Never assume anything. If your the GC, you are the one held accountable. At least the GC realizes he is the one who needs to deal with the HO.

We all screw up, hoss. Its how you react and what you do when the screw up goes down that defines a great deal of your reputation. Passing the buck won't get you far , in my experience.

Words to live by.

The first time I worked for who is now one of my best customers I had a little accident. I was installing tongue & groove 1x6 on a cathedral ceiling. Finished the job and was tearing the scaffold down. Lost one of the walk boards from about 12', landed smack on top of a granite counter top. :eek: Had the granite guy there measuring for a new slab when the homeowner got home from work. I made it right, even though I didn't make a freaking dime on that job. That was about 6 years ago and she does a large project every year, refers to me as "her" carpenter.

Make it right or go home and quit. There is no in between. ;)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Instead if bashing you, let's put the other shoe on your foot.

You have a project going on in your home.

You have possessions lying around in the work area.

Your GC drops the proverbial ball and doesn't make accommodations to protect your valuable belongings.

What would you hope that his sub does to make the situation right while completing his scope of work?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Huggy..........Back in the day we had a saying........."Once you touch it. It becomes yours."

Yes the GC really was responsible, but that went out the window as soon as you touched it.

Do you know how many places I go to do drywall repairs and I cover up everything? Even though you would think things should be covered to begin with. 9 times out of 10.

Good luck.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Not to keep beating the horse but I've worked for some GC's that went out of their way to accommodate the work that I'm doing without having asked them to do anything for me while I've worked for other GC's who promised IN WRITING to do the site prep and they didn't do anything.

In either case, when I arrive on the site it's still my moral responsibility to care for the homeowners stuff. If I want to sue the GC later, so be it but the experience of the homeowner.. or what I call the "end user" is what really matters.

Reactions: jb4211

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
i was shocked when i arrived and nothing was moved..... i assumed things that maybe i shouldnt have

i didnt have preping the house in my bid and didnt discuss it much with the builder...im just used to it being handled

we could have pulled off the job i guess....but the builder was hyper to get it going....a delay for 4 days would have also been a problem....

i dont think its my responsibility to prep the house or prepare the homeowner...thats the job of the GC....otherwise why is he there? (he didnt show up until 10am and we were there at 7am)....he should have been there when we started.....

sorry guys...im putting the blame on the GC no matter what you guys say

is it my fault for not having it in my contract? maybe....i do remodels all the time with GC's.....they always have tarps/ram board down on the floors and plastic up around the work area.....ive never had to do that....not ever....preping a jobsite is not the plumbers job, not the electricians job, not the hvac's job.....its the GC or the demo guy he hires
I agree with the other comments: if you arrived and noticed the house was obviously not properly prepared for the work you were about to do, you should have notified the GC immediately. The amount of time you spent (a) notifying the GC, or (b) taking the necessary precautions would be far les then the amount of time you are spending on the situation now. And FAR LESS STRESSFUL for sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
huggytree said:
its just bad planning....im blaming the gc for 0 planning...you guys want to blame me for not doing the GC's job
Seems you overlooked planning yourself. I never understood why it's the contractors job to prep and cleanup after all you other crybaby trades. One electrician I used to work with would just leave with all his trash all over the place, I would just leave it there. After something was said to him by a homeowner he started cleaning. We're not your parents. Clean up after yourself.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
in an email today from the builder he wrote that he would have been angry if i pulled off (i knew that would be the answer)

+ he is at church every day at 7am...so he wouldnt have answered his phone

homeowner is claiming no damage (most likely because there really isnt any)

all is good....lessons have been learned....

i would have made the phone call at 7am...no one would have answered
if i pulled off the GC may have fired me (they are under a homeowner imposed crunch to be done before easter)
no way i could have covered 6,000 sq ft of basement
homeowner is easily upset and barely functional ......if i talked to her she would have been able to tell me where the valuable things were..but i think she would have been frantic until 10am when the builder finally arrived...

to some degree i was in a no win situation

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,848 Posts
we did clean up----but you cant cleanup a wet floor all over the basement

boxes are on the floor and its water....is it my responsibility to spend 3 days moving their belongings? plastic would have helped, but those boxes would still be wet/damp

its such an obvious thing......anyone ever seen a whole house repipe that didnt have water on the floor?....this isnt a small 1.5 bath ranch...its a huge/complex house....pipes are up/down, around/over/under......everywhere....there is no way to get the water out of the pipes all together before you cut them

probably 200+ cuts were done......6,000 sq of basement...divided into 6-7 rooms/spaces

It was you're job to back out until you had discussed with the GC or homeowner how to proceed forward. You made an executive decision to move forward, so it's 100% on you.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
It was you're job to back out until you had discussed with the GC or homeowner how to proceed forward. You made an executive decision to move forward, so it's 100% on you.
By the time you waited to talk to the GC or HO I would have had tarps thrown over the crap, a few drop clothes and a guy to hold a trash can under the pipes I cut.

It ain't rocket surgery.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,848 Posts
By the time you waited to talk to the GC or HO I would have had tarps thrown over the crap, a few drop clothes and a guy to hold a trash can under the pipes I cut.

It ain't rocket surgery.

How is that going to catch the water that made it's way to the floor & soaked the boxes on the floor?

Bottom line, he made an executive decision & he's responsible for that decision. Looks like it turned out OK this time.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I'm really glad to hear you are out of the woods on this one.

To me the lessons to learn here start before we show up to work on a job like this.

1- When we look at a job and there is obvious prep work that needs to be done, it gets discussed at length and the homeowners are made aware of the plan. If you feel the need, verbiage is added to your contract describing the scope of the protection plan and who is responsible.

2- When we get the call that we are needed to start, we confirm that the prep work has been done.

3- When we arrive that first morning and see that the prep work is not done or is not properly done, we take whatever action needed to protect the HO's belongings. Whatever that may mean.

It all boils down to communication and caring.

Reactions: greg24k

·
General Contractor
8,116 Posts
in an email today from the builder he wrote that he would have been angry if i pulled off (i knew that would be the answer)

+ he is at church every day at 7am...so he wouldnt have answered his phone

homeowner is claiming no damage (most likely because there really isnt any)

all is good....lessons have been learned....

i would have made the phone call at 7am...no one would have answered
if i pulled off the GC may have fired me (they are under a homeowner imposed crunch to be done before easter)
no way i could have covered 6,000 sq ft of basement
homeowner is easily upset and barely functional ......if i talked to her she would have been able to tell me where the valuable things were..but i think she would have been frantic until 10am when the builder finally arrived...

to some degree i was in a no win situation
Next time tell your GC that God can wait, the job can't and he should be there first thing in the morning to set everyone up and make sure everything runs smooth.

I'm glad everything worked out :thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Next time tell your GC that God can wait, the job can't and he should be there first thing in the morning to set everyone up and make sure everything runs smooth.

I'm glad everything worked out :thumbsup:
Or the GC needs a project manager.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How is that going to catch the water that made it's way to the floor & soaked the boxes on the floor?

Bottom line, he made an executive decision & he's responsible for that decision. Looks like it turned out OK this time.
That's what the trash can is for.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to slide a few boxes out of the way of the spray zone.

Look pin, there are two types of people in the world, those with a long list of solutions and those with a long list of excuses.

I have a lot of respect for the GCs I work for, they send me work and ask for nothing in return besides quality work and a fair price, if I have to move a few boxes around for one job I really don't mind.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts