Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
We fix frozen and broken sprinkler pipes. The estimate mentions moving/covering furnishings. We discuss with the maintenance staff how we are going to handle protection from water. Computers on desks get moved by their staff or we cover. We always have plastic sheeting on the job and a means of securing the plastic. Before repairs start, we have the vacuum set up so we can control the water. We have hoses to pump the water outside or to a sink. We have damp and dry clean rags to control the drips. We use the customers mop and bucket. On some jobs, we work at night so don't disturb the people who are paying us. And we get more than the plumber's $116.00 per man hour.

The original poster did the GC, the customer and his business no favors by not being pro-active on the job. And, I will bet there will be no more work from that GC. In fact, I would expect the OP will not be seeing much profit after the damage to the customers really expensive stuff is deducted from the final payment.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
huggytree said:
only 1 person here has blamed the GC for not plastic wrapping the basement....yet the actual GC has now admitted an error

Yet the GC also said

"However, what would have been nice is if you had asked either me or the owner to move or cover the stuff in the corridor between the basement sections -- that's where most of her complaint was.
I overlooked it, yes, but I think you should have called me on it because you sorta knew what was going to happen."

Yes, ultimately the GC is responsible, but what he said in the above quote is something you should have known and done without anyone telling you.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I blame the GC. He should have known that all that stuff needed to be moved or covered. He probley bid it to move and "forgot" . Scatterbrained is what that gc is,. He wants to make money by doing as little as possible.

Example . Plumber shows up at 7am and where is the gc? It's his job to be there on the first day a sub starts so they both can go over the game plan and resolve any issues. It also shows the ho that the gc is on top of things..

Sure the plumber should have covered things but it was the gc job to make sure the subs have room to work and to Protect the HO treasures.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
disposal of the old piping was by the builder....he got a dumpster for the whole job.....because it wasnt in my contract was i responsible for also getting the dumpster'????.....its a large job run by a GC.....its his job to handle the dumpster, put ram board down, protect the steps, move or protect the homeowners belongings.......

there's a difference between the homeowner hiring me direct vs hiring a GC who subs the job out....the GC is responsible for running the job

if the homeowner hired me direct i would have had an option for covering the belongings....0% chance the homeowner would have chose to pay me $500 to do it...they would have handled it....why? because they are basically the GC

only 1 person here has blamed the GC for not plastic wrapping the basement....yet the actual GC has now admitted an error

i have rarely seen roofers use tarps
I don't think anyone blamed the GC. Meaning no one in their right mind would say that the customers property was damaged at the fault of the GC. All you had to do was walk out on the first day, instead of being a prick and saying f-it.

It's not asking you to make a 20 page contract to include a clause spelling out who is responsible for clearing the project area and defining the that area.

You need to admit your mistake, pay for the damages you caused and move on.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't think anyone blamed the GC. Meaning no one in their right mind would say that the customers property was damaged at the fault of the GC. All you had to do was walk out on the first day, instead of being a prick and saying f-it.

It's not asking you to make a 20 page contract to include a clause spelling out who is responsible for clearing the project area and defining the that area.

You need to admit your mistake, pay for the damages you caused and move on.
Fvck I don't like agreeing with this *******...but I do.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So everyone can bash the GC who isn't here to defend himself and tell the op that he is a special snowflake.
I think we bashed him pretty good but he still feels unscathed.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Willfully doing work in an area that is unprepared to prevent damage, is or can be considered negligence. Whether you didn't prepare the area or the GC didn't or Santa Fricken Clause Didn't.

File under the category of "me tinks thou protesteth too much"

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Do you drink?
Had a beer a few hours ago while I cleaned out the van. And will be making a few cocktails for me and the Mrs. to have while watching a movie. But I am not a big drinker.

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
I read a few of the responses.... another vote that this is on YOU. You didn't ask, you assumed... you didn't pick up the phone and call to say "hey, all this crap is in my way, what am I supposed to do?" I think it's rude to just let crap get wet intentionally.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You and your type are the worst subs to have on a job don't give a crap about anyone else anything.
Carrying on with the job when you knew their possessions should be moved or covered is just stupid take responsibility for the damage and learn the lesson

·
Registered
358 Posts
Okay let's first point out the fact that you said this basement is 6000 sq ft... Me thinks anyone that count afford a house/ building over a 6000 sq ft basement probably had some valuable stuff in their basement.

Also, the fault is yours. Thats like blaming the bar tender for serving you too many apple martinis and them you getting into a car accident.

You made the mess, take it on the chin.

·
Super Moderator
29,340 Posts
After reading this im going to have a come to jesus meeting with my plumber.

He wouldn't be so accommodating as to work around a bunch of chit jnless it was hourly. He would of likely told me to get that chit out of the way and give me a call, I aint a mover. Lol

41 - 60 of 108 Posts