Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the question is, Who has to cut out the 3x10 duct holes in the floor?

And cut out plates and what ever, so the heating contractor can run his heat/ac?

In my opinion, it's his stuff, he should install it.

In their opinion they don't want to be responsible for slicing a joist or cutting up a load bearing wall etc.

What do you all think?

Btw. I do have to cut out the heating holes now.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
The HVAC guy should do it.I'm not going to make time to be there when they are and hold their hand and cut where they tell me to.If you have a HVAC license you should be able to know where a floor/ceiling joist is and how not to cut through one...

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
From what I've seen its always the HVAC guys that do it....thats like me telling you, that you have to drill all the holes for my wires incase I compromise the structure or drill through a joist.

Give me a break, sounds like they are trying to "pass the buck".

Although from what I've seen most framing inspections are failed from the HVAC guy going all chain-saw happy.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

That worked on you??

What next they gonna make you run the duct?

Tell them to quit being so lazy

If plumbers and electricians can figure out where to put their crap so can they.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Most of the time the project manager will walk the building with the HVAC contractor to lay them out. Cheap insurance to avoid specific trim details, framing details, etc. Just seems to be the most efficient way. The HVAC guys are still responsible for the actual cutting.:thumbsup:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I always did the layout on the floor with the HVAC super but I had already drawn in the system on the plans. When using TJI's I worked out the locations of all the holes with the HVAC guys, using the manufacturer supplied software on a notebook so the holes would not violate the rules.

When we use floor trusses, the trusses are designed and built with a duct chase that lines up through the house. I design all the trusses without the webs as part of the plans set so there are no offsets in the duct.

The designer and GC really need to be actively involved in the hvac process. Tinners really don't know what they can and can't cut. All to often the designer puts things in places that require cutting structural members. When the tinners install the system per plans they are blamed for the failures of the designer.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Basically the question is, Who has to cut out the 3x10 duct holes in the floor?

Plain and simple.......HVAC guy. It's not even a question, conversation or an argument. How can it possibly be your job? Because they don't want the responsibility if they ruin a joist? No framers do this, why would you have too? Who is the GC telling you to do this?

I'm sure this isn't your first framing job, since when do you have to do this? It must be just for this builder/GC or whoever is asking you to do this.

In their opinion they don't want to be responsible for slicing a joist or cutting up a load bearing wall etc.
It's their job, not yours. They have to know how to cut. The plumbers have to know also. With this thinking you should have to drill every hole for plumbers and electricians, right?

What do you all think?
If you choose to do it, you're insane if you don't charge for it.

Btw. I do have to cut out the heating holes now.
Says who? Are you charging for it??? If not, you're a fool.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Joe beat me to it!
Framing has to stack!

Even so, it's the mechanics resposibilty to add extra studs when needed. Then he should go after the general/super for not making sure framer does it right.
Joe

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
We used to do it around here until about ten years ago. I started charging extra to do it and so did alot of other framers and finally they started to do it themselves. Same way with roof vents.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
R602.3.3 Where joists, trusses or rafters are spaced more than 16 inches on center and bearing studs below are spaced 24 inches on center, such members shall bear within 5 inches of the studs benieth.

That still doesnt allow total removal of top plates though.

Heating guy makes his own holes here unless stated in a contract spec.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I will walk the job with my HVAC sub, discuss locations, ID any potential problems, then i am outa there. they do it. That being said, if i require something special a(as far as location) that is very difficult because of structure, plumbing, etc... i will get more involved to gaurantee the correct outcome. G

·
Pro
680 Posts
In the 80's and early 90's I always had to cut them out for HVAC. Since then they do it themselves. I did not mind cutting them out for most of the guys because they appreciated it, but some were ****s about it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
In the 80's and early 90's I always had to cut them out for HVAC. Since then they do it themselves. I did not mind cutting them out for most of the guys because they appreciated it, but some were ****s about it.

Bill
I did it back in 1983 for one builder when I worked for first boss framing. When I started my own company, I started framing for the same builder and asked him why my old boss used to cut everything for the HVAC guy. The builder told me that the HVAC guy would charge him more. I told him that it's the HVAC guys job, not the framer and made no sense at all. I will not cut out anything anymore. If he wanted me to I would charge him extra, not my job. Never cut them out again.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts