Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting hammered here in Northeast PA this month. Already have twice the normal snow for the season. Losing work hours constantly because of it. Digging myself out, then digging out my parents house, then trying to get to the job for a few hours late in the afternoon.:blink:Doing a job now that should have taken 4 or 5 days. Its day 9 now and maybe cant get there again today. 33 days until spring..............:clap:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm pretty close in north jersey and we're dealing with the same systems. It seems like every other day there's snow. Can't get anything done, jobs are taking twice as long. I have not been to the job we are working now since Monday.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm pretty close in north jersey and we're dealing with the same systems. It seems like every other day there's snow. Can't get anything done, jobs are taking twice as long. I have not been to the job we are working now since Monday.
Im trying to finish the job I'm on now. i have maybe 3 to 4 hours of work left. Been outside since 7:00am this morning getting my driveway cleared. I really need to finish this job today so I can get paid. And the homeowner is starting to whine about how long its taking also.:clap:
I bought my van in Sussex County, NJ (Newton) you near there?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
This winter has been crazy from the start for us. The week before thanksgiving it didn't even get up to freezing. And since then, it would be 60 degrees and rain 3 inches in 24 hours, then be down to 17 degrees the next day!

I've even seen -2 degrees on the thermometer! -2! and yesterday and the night before, we got 20 inches of snow!

And we live on the Va/Nc line! This is winters that we only see our northern friends have.

The weatherman is saying it suppose to get up to 70 degrees next Friday!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they want it up to 46 degrees here next week! Damn! It will feel like spring. Its been going down to -2 or so here overnight, and hasnt been above 32 in weeks. Wayyyyyyyy below normal temps for us. Only 12 inches away from breaking the all-time snow total record set back in 1996. That was a bad winter, but I was only 37 back then. My back could take the snow removal much better at 37 than now at 54. Thanks goodness for my Ariens snowblower. (bought it in 1996);)

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I'm just thankful we were able to build the new shop, so my commute to work has been all of 300 yds. We've got about 12-14" on the ground & it's snowing again here this morning. I'm ready for a warmup.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
You guys are all mistaken. I think you're all lying. Global warming has devastated the planet! Things are warming up. There's no way you can have as much snow as you claim....

Btw, here's what I'm dealing with! :laughing:

Vehicle Car Van Motor vehicle Transport

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Here's what we've got now. Had about an inch com down in the last 2 hours and not supposed to stop till tomorrow morning.

Snow Winter Home Geological phenomenon Freezing

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,469 Posts
On the bright side....if anyone has a vegetable garden, all this cold weather and snow is good to get rid of the bugs.

That's all I've got.....

·
Registered
758 Posts
claiming 14 ft of snow since jan 1st

can't complain best skiing in 3 years, now if I could get myself and others to actually work five days a week, someone just texted in sick at 6:30 the smorning, only got 8 inches last night, I called in sick at lunch time on wed and had a blast

if I can finish my paper work, stock some flooring, then the afternoon might be free

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
This is why we try not to work in the winter opposed to those that try to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gettysburg PA I have 14Inchs.

Framing Job site (Sykesville MD) 19Inchs.

I decided since im sick ill give it Today and the weekend to see if that 19" will go down any.

·
Registered
261 Posts
we've got feet of it here just sitting around. hasn't snowed since last week, but next week its supposed to hit the 50s. goodbye snow/ice, hello flooding

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
One positive note about all the snow and cold weather........I got a few calls for interior repairs due to frozen pipes and roof ice damming causing wall and ceiling damage. So I cant complain about not having any work this winter. Its just I hate( with a capital H) shoveling snow and the slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww driving. :sad:

Actually got my job finished today, finally. Got paid too! Its a good day when the customer is pleased with your work and pays you before you leave.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts