Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Which came first? The crew or The work?

Who came first? The crew or the work?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  sparehair 
#1 ·
So tell me does one get the work first or the crew. if i get the crew and the work does not come fast enough then i will lose the crew. if i get the work and have trouble finding the PAINTERS!!!! then i risk ruining my name and my jobs as well as future jobs so which foot do i put out first?

#3 ·
get the work, schedule yourself doing it alone by yourself, hire someone to help you, one of two things will happen, if the guy is good you will finish the job early and move on to the next job, nobody gets mad when you finish a job early, or the guy is no good you fire him, you now finish the job on scedule, do this until you find a good guy you can count on and build from their.

that's one way, another way is to use subs, and at first really watch over them, I would try to scedule them on a emty house, people on vacation, or a exterior, be very careful in choosing a sub.

dave

#4 ·
If I walked away from every job I didn't have the manpower for, I would have never started my own business.:thumbsup: If there's a will, there's a way.

#8 ·
I voted that the work comes first.

BUT.

There are definitely painting jobs that you will never get unless you have the crew. 150 unit apartment complexes, massive industrial jobs etc where you need the bodies to knock it out quickly or the skill to drive a lift in a busy downtown environment.

Big bait = big fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.