Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

The ultimate luxury car is

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Three contenders for the title of ultimate luxury car.

The Maybach 62S.

The Maybach 62 S is a car for people who have an eye for the extraspecial. It brings together all of the hallmark traits which have, since the very beginning, set aside each and every Maybach vehicle as a paragon of technical perfection, traditional craftsmanship and creative brilliance. This prestigious, high-end luxury saloon goes yet further by adding a generous helping of dynamic individuality with an assured sense of style to enrich the brand's heritage.
Exclusive design features plus high-tech performance enhancement give the Maybach 62 S an athletic, one-of-a-kind feel that make it into a beguiling travel companion on any road in the world. Arresting details such as the radiator grille with twin louvres, the striking main headlamps finished in the vehicle colour and the front fog lamps with their elegant chrome surrounds instantly catch the eye.
Exclusive wheels and a customdesigned exhaust system with two visible tailpipes add further powerful touches. Under the bonnet, the Maybach 62 S holds true to the philosophy of discreet dynamism with the most powerful Maybach engine ever, promising majestic propulsion and astonishing agility. This combines with the lavish spaciousness on offer and the peerless finery of the appointments and equipment to produce something truly worth cherishing: your very own business jet on wheels.
The Maybach 62 S succeeds in reconciling inspirational motoring comfort with a level of performance that belies the vehicle's imposing dimensions and satisfies even the highest expectations.
The source of this exceptionally dynamic streak is a twin-turbocharged Maybach V12 powerplant with a displacement of six litres delivering 604 hp. Torque peaks at a heady 738 lb-ft @ 2000-4000 rpm. Having undergone a painstaking programme of refinement at the Mercedes-AMG engine manufacturing facility, the engine excels by virtue of its instantaneous power delivery and barely perceptible noise levels. And thanks to the meticulous attention to detail lavished on the chassis by the Maybach engineers, all of this formidable power can be unleashed safely and effortlessly.
The ESP® Electronic Stability Program, ASR acceleration skid control and the braking system have all been adapted to the increased power reserves of the Maybach 62 S, working in unison with the sensitive AIRMATIC Dual Control air suspension and the exclusive 11-spoke, 20-inch wheels to produce outstanding handling dynamics and directional stability. Which all means that a journey aboard the Maybach 62 S will never cease to be an experience for all the senses – regardless of where you're sitting.
The Bentley Arnage

Vehicle Overview
After 10 years, Bentley's flagship Arnage is in its final year. For the first half of 2009, the Arnage comes in traditional trim levels of base R, extended-length RL and sporty T. Then, in the middle of 2009, just one trim level will be offered: the Arnage Final Series. The Arnage Final Series combines the performance of last year's Arnage T with the luxury and refinement of the Arnage R.

The Arnage Final Series is comparable in stature to the Maybach 57 and Rolls-Royce Phantom, though both of those cars cost about $100,000 more. Only 150 Arnage Final Series will be built.

The Azure convertible and Brooklands coupe share components with the Arnage, though both are substantially pricier. They are listed separately in the Cars.com Research section.

New for 2009
The Arnage will drop the R, RL and T trim levels in mid-2009, leaving just the Final Series, which gets a new stereo unit with a larger display screen and an SD memory card slot instead of a CD player. There's also a new optional iPod integration unit, a 10-speaker, 1,100-watt audio system and backseat remote controls for the entertainment system.

Exterior
Bentley sedans are largely hand-built. The Arnage T's grille receives a darker finish, while the Arnage R and RL receive chrome-finished grilles. An optional retractable "Flying B" emblem — Bentley's iconic symbol — can sit above the grille.

The Arnage Final Series has a few exclusive features, like a Bentley "Jewel" fuel cap and "Final Series" badging.

At 212.2 inches long and 76.1 inches wide, the Arnage is slightly smaller than competing stately sedans. The Arnage RL limousine is almost 10 inches longer. Most RLs are likely to be chauffeur-driven.
  • Available in 42 exterior colors
  • Available 18-, 19- or 20-inch wheels
  • Xenon headlamps with auto-leveling function
  • Power folding mirrors with auto-dimming glass
  • Dual exhaust pipes
  • Fog lamps
  • Optional sunroof
Interior

Secondary controls on the Arnage are hidden behind veneered panels. Bentley buyers can choose between walnut, oak, bird's-eye maple and black lacquer interior trim to complement the myriad interior leather options. The Arnage Final Series comes with a rear cocktail cabinet with a "Final Series"-branded steel flask and shot glasses.

The trunk has 13.2 cubic feet of space, which is smaller than its competition.
  • Available with 25 leather hides and three veneer trims
  • Diamond-quilted leather seats
  • Navigation system
  • Power-adjustable tilt steering wheel with cruise control buttons
  • Auto-dimming rearview mirror
  • Heated/powered seats in front and rear
Under the Hood

The Arnage Final Series gets the Arnage T's performance setup. The Final Series and Arnage T have a sports-tuned suspension, including stiffer road springs, anti-roll bars and revised damper tuning for better handling.

Bentley says each can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds.
  • 450-horsepower, 6.8-liter V-8 with 645 pounds-feet of torque
  • 500-hp, twin-turbocharged 6.8-liter V-8 with 738 pounds-feet of torque (on T and Final Series)
  • Six-speed automatic transmission with sports function
  • Adaptive/auto-leveling suspension
  • Engine starter button
Safety

A backup camera is available on the Arnage. Standard safety features include:
  • Side curtain airbags
  • Front and rear side-impact airbags
  • Front and rear sonar sensors
  • Antilock braking system
  • Electronic stability control
  • Traction control
The Rolls Royce Phantom

Like the Great Pyramid of Giza, Rolls-Royces change shape slowly and imperceptibly without affecting grandeur or purpose. This evolutionary pace ensures that even older Rolls models will remain relevant and rewarding, creating no sense of shame for owners even when placed next to newer, fresher versions.
That said, the single most noticeable change on the 2009 Rolls-Royce Phantom—the new front bumper—does just enough to tidy up the Phantom’s face that it might prompt customers to go ahead and toss down $400K for a new one anyway. Indeed, the nicely integrated fascia brings the bumper, fenders, and grille into agreement with each other. Together, they replace the clunky, unresolved front end that, frankly, made the pre-’09 Phantom look like it had already “menaced” a wall or two as part of the assembly process.
Rolls-Royce made more changes to the big bad Phantom for ’09, including new power rear bucket seats; relocated rear climate, window, and audio controls; a new clock; fabulous new rear vanity mirrors; and, for the first time, the unique headliner that uses tiny lights to mimic twinkling stars—evidently, when you have this kind of money, the stars always come out at night. The iconic Rolls grille has also been tweaked, becoming shallower to mimic the Phantom Coupé and Drophead Coupé, and cast-aluminum 21-inch wheels are now standard, with two additional wheel designs also being available. Production of the 2009 Phantom has just commenced at Rolls-Royce’s Goodwood facility.

I'm something of a car nut. Was watching some Top Gear online and it featured these 3 cars.

So which one has the ultimate wow factor for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've actually seen a Rolls Royce Phantom in person. The black on black one at Rolls Royce in Bellevue WA. Let me tell ya, that's a snooty dealership. Wouldn't even let me get a close look at the car. Had 2 salesman and a manager running interference. I wanted to check out the Lambos they had on the showroom too. It might be because I was wearing Carhartt and pulled up in an 82 F-150. Profiling is wrong! Whats to say I wasn't an eccentric billionaire?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've actually seen a Rolls Royce Phantom in person. The black on black one at Rolls Royce in Bellevue WA. Let me tell ya, that's a snooty dealership. Wouldn't even let me get a close look at the car. Had 2 salesman and a manager running interference. I wanted to check out the Lambos they had on the showroom too. It might be because I was wearing Carhartt and pulled up in an 82 F-150. Profiling is wrong! Whats to say I wasn't an eccentric billionaire?

I kind of like the Lambos myself. Got passed by tyson on the Norhtway about 15years ago. He was not following the speed limit that I saw!:whistling
How is the new truck?:eek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
dealerships that profile and judge folks by a work truck...well let's just say they would be loosing a sale. Who are they to know if your not a very wealthy construction company exec that also works some jobs too just to keep in touch with the clientbase and make sure quality is still there when your a big operation. Reminds me of the time I went into a BMW dealership to checkout the new 6 series, they refused to let me take a 6 out on a test drive since I rolled up in my work rig, F550 bucket. So I went down the street and was treated very nice, bought the MBenz CLS550 instead of a 6.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, most wealthy construction companies don't have their owners drive near 30 year old rust buckets.

My Dodge should be back first week in September. I don't want the POS anymore. Trying to get rid of it.

Think of this as research, when this recession is over and were booming again you'll want to reward yourself. Any of these cars would be suitable for running around, doing estimates, and meeting with clients.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Think of this as research, when this recession is over and were booming again you'll want to reward yourself. Any of these cars would be suitable for running around, doing estimates, and meeting with clients>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you out of your mind???????????????????/
Try answering a price objection, leave and go jump in one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it'd be good for GC's to meet with subs.

"Yeah, I'm having some cash flow issues. Don't worry, I'll take care of you on my next draw."

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I agree with the profiling. I dealt with this at a BMW/Audi dealer when a friend of mine and i took his parents Audi in for an AWD problem. I towed it down for him so while i was waiting for him i was checking out an A-8 on the floor. Some salesman actually came up to me and said "nice car huh, i dont think you could afford it so please dont touch it!" :eek: . Well dont you think this ole boy didnt come unglued :laughing: I started yelling at this punk that i made more money than any of them and my one of my $45k junkers were sitting on thier lot, unlike him i own several homes, i have my own business, i own more tools than most if not all their techs, that unlike him i work for a living and i do know what i can afford. The manager then came over, stated that i was creating a scene and asked me to leave :rolleyes:. Who the hell are they to judge a book by its cover? I guess if you fit the yuppie bill then you are ok, but if your a working man than you are not good enough for their ride.:no: Most farmers have more money tied up in equipment then they do in inventory, but then i would rather drive a John Deere than a BMW.

The best car of the three IMO is the Maybach, it is also the oldest top of the line car produced if memory serves me. But would i turn away the others, hell NO.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I become a billionaire I'm gonna get $400,000 cash out of the bank and put it in a gym bag. Dress like a slob and head for the Ferrari dealership. When they give me crap I'm gonna dump it on the showroom floor. "How do you like me now?"

Go from getting security called on me to being their new best friend in about 2 seconds flat.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Once I become a billionaire I'm gonna get $400,000 cash out of the bank and put it in a gym bag. Dress like a slob and head for the Ferrari dealership. When they give me crap I'm gonna dump it on the showroom floor. "How do you like me now?"

Go from getting security called on me to being their new best friend in about 2 seconds flat.
Better yet, when they give you crap show them the cash and walk out. Tell them you are going to a better dealer regardless of where it is and they can shove their business up their wazzoo. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey you know a construction exec might be in love with the truck that he started making his fortune with and it still works fine, so he kept it. I still have my old truck... I wouldn't trade it or sell it just because it's my first truck.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
My wifes cousin has the Bentley Continental. Thats an amazing car. It took two weeks for them to learn how to make the windows go down. My favorite is his Blue Ferrari though with carbon and the glass over the engine. Must be nice.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
No offense but i noticed when i was a tech for GM that the more expensive the car the dumber the owners were and or they were too lazy to read the owners manual. You wouldnt beleive how many people would buy a Caddy and pay cash for it yet have no clue how to move the seats or mirrors.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I could not vote because only elite "tanks" were list that can have good specs that are not ever used.

A "little" closer the real world for a person that wants luxury and performance is a Mercedes E class (sedan oe coupe) that has gone through the AMG division where everything is upgraded and under warantee. A fraction of the price and is something that has all the luxury and goodies plus it is good in normal driving, in a road race or on a drag strip. Mercedes is good, but the AMG is a costly difference, but they start with a chasis, engine and body to the cost is not as bad as someting lesser done to an ordinary car.

For a real driver get on the list (3 years wait) for an Audi R8 coupe. Two seats, two zone AC ,all plush and 200 mph than can be driven and may be able to dodge many of the cars wandering on the road.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're going to talk real world then the Mercedes G550 or the Range Rover would be my choice. Either one can still move in snow. Range Rover has a reputation for poor build quality though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess if you had a $400,000 Rolls Royce you'd look like a real poon when the thing got stuck in the snow huh?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I considered a GL450 or G550, settled for the CLS as it was on sale. There's not much snow here where I'm at, the cars mostly for shuttling mom and dad around on weekends, last I checked the GL or G doesn't have power assisted steps readily available. So yeah the GL or G is a bargain as far as luxury rides. I don't think I could picture myself driving a continetal or maybach.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The CLS is the 4 door that looks like a coupe right? The one with the real sharp roofline that slopes down the back?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree with the profiling. I dealt with this at a BMW/Audi dealer when a friend of mine and i took his parents Audi in for an AWD problem. I towed it down for him so while i was waiting for him i was checking out an A-8 on the floor. Some salesman actually came up to me and said "nice car huh, i dont think you could afford it so please dont touch it!" :eek: . Well dont you think this ole boy didnt come unglued :laughing: I started yelling at this punk that i made more money than any of them and my one of my $45k junkers were sitting on thier lot, unlike him i own several homes, i have my own business, i own more tools than most if not all their techs, that unlike him i work for a living and i do know what i can afford. The manager then came over, stated that i was creating a scene and asked me to leave :rolleyes:. Who the hell are they to judge a book by its cover? I guess if you fit the yuppie bill then you are ok, but if your a working man than you are not good enough for their ride.:no: Most farmers have more money tied up in equipment then they do in inventory, but then i would rather drive a John Deere than a BMW.

The best car of the three IMO is the Maybach, it is also the oldest top of the line car produced if memory serves me. But would i turn away the others, hell NO.
Most farmers are very very rich despite impressions they are poor farmboys. Farmers these days have all their equip and crops insured and gov't subsidies...so don't ever take a farmer as a loser...all that land of his is also of very very high value should there be real estate development.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts