Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired myself one of these here Whitney saws.

It also happened to be a sliding/rolling table version too.

Hard to find these anymore, most were captured and forced to live in a barn in NJ.

This one came from part of the Batesville Casket Co.

I got it home and gave it a good look over and here is what I have found.

List of issues that need attention:

1. Motor is a Woods, 5hp, 2 Phase according to the name plate, pulled out end of motor leads and there are 12 wires. Seems it was rewound, Smitty did not recall that area ever having 2 phase power, saw was in use 8 years ago.

2. No starter, not a big deal.

3. Probably missing two of the inside table rollers and the other two inside ones are stuck.

4. missing wrench to open and close table

5. missing handle on tilt hand wheel.

6. fence was dropped, broken and repaired at one point.

I managed to get most things moving pretty easily tonight.

We found a nice surprise hiding inside the saw, the dado arbor.

Saw seems to be from the latter part of 1932.

Motor has a cool thing on the end to hold a wrench while you tighten the arbor nut, or dado arbor.

Picture time:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I do not think I ever heard of "2" phase. In my limited knowledge, Single phase and threee phase are it, but would you guess that 2 phase is somehow an older way to express 220/240 voltage? I.E., 110 on 2 hot legs.

12 wires would indicate it has been reword for 3 phase and the wires can be chenged for 220 to 440.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I do not think I ever heard of "2" phase. In my limited knowledge, Single phase and threee phase are it, but would you guess that 2 phase is somehow an older way to express 220/240 voltage? I.E., 110 on 2 hot legs.

12 wires would indicate it has been reword for 3 phase and the wires can be chenged for 220 to 440.
It predates 3 phase, I don't think you will find anything 2 phase after 1920. If it was a 2 phase wound motor it would most likely have 4 leads, two for one phase, two for the other.

·
I like Green things
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2 phase is its own type of power supply. There were select pockets of 2 phase power all over the place.

Philadelphia was a major area that had 2 phase. I believe that it is still in use.

Yes, it seems from the 12 leads it has been rewound, but not re stamped on the motor plate. That irritates me.

Now I have to figure out what lead is what so I can wire it for the correct voltage.

Might just pull the stator and take it to my local motor shop.

This saw is from 1932, we'll after the 1920 guess.

I can post some good reads on 2 and 3 phase power later.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
2 phase is its own type of power supply. There were select pockets of 2 phase power all over the place.

Philadelphia was a major area that had 2 phase. I believe that it is still in use.

Yes, it seems from the 12 leads it has been rewound, but not re stamped on the motor plate. That irritates me.

Now I have to figure out what lead is what so I can wire it for the correct voltage.

Might just pull the stator and take it to my local motor shop.

This saw is from 1932, we'll after the 1920 guess.

I can post some good reads on 2 and 3 phase power later.
There is a Nema standard for 12 wire 3 phase motors, just look online for a chart.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.