Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I'm looking for a good quality white paint. I've found in my experiences that most white paint almost always requires several coats. I typically use white to paint white primed moldings and even sherwin Williams best quality enamel to requires me to roll down at least 3 coats.

Any suggestions on a brand that would cover well and look good with only 2 coats?

Thanks,
Al

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I'm one coat on primed baseboards, doors and crown with pro classic semi gloss brushed on. I do 2 just to make sure there's a thick enough layer of final on there but as long as your primer is white it should me at a maximum a 2 coat.
Same here but with dutch boy semi-gloss ultra white. Prime and two coats to ensure a good to coat. I don't add any pigment to my trim paint but do add two drops of blue to me ceiling white for coverage.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Dutch Boy ?
Yep! I cannot stand Dutchboy. I am a Ben Moore guy, but the SemiGloss UtraWhite is awesome. Goes on smooth, finishes smooth and has really good coverage and hide.

I was shocked as you when a painter buddy recommended it. I used it several times in my own home with my kids as a good test for durability. Washes awesome and lasts forever. I used it on my kitchen cabinets nearly 6 years ago and they look like I just did them.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Plus one, I have been using 200 on trim for years. Great stuff!
That's what my current painter likes. If I hire him to do the job that's what he uses. I may try it on the next one.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm not a Glidden guy, but their Gripper primer is slicker than snot on a glass door knob. It's about all I use anymore.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I'm not a Glidden guy, but their Gripper primer is slicker than snot on a glass door knob. It's about all I use anymore.
Me neither, but started using their Ultra Hide on rental units and gotta say it's pretty decent paint.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I like SW for coverage, but they've just gotten too pricey. I've started using Valspar Signature this last year and have been pretty pleased with it. I'll have to give the Glidden a look see on a non-critical project. Thanks for the heads up on the Ultra Hide!

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I like the pro classic better then the 200, I never could get the same hide out of the 200 and didn't like how thin it was when spraying with it.
I think I am gonna go with the Porter Advantage 900 for a bit, been getting decent results with it.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
Me neither, but started using their Ultra Hide on rental units and gotta say it's pretty decent paint.
We used to use the Ultra Hide flat on production houses. Nice coverage and touches up well. The guy I worked for at the time eventually switched to SW Cashmere which I hated. Didn't touch up as well and they could never break down the formula from a five to a gallon, so if I needed a gallon to touch up something I had to get a 5 or it wouldn't match at all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BCConstruction said:
I'm one coat on primed baseboards, doors and crown with pro classic semi gloss brushed on. I do 2 just to make sure there's a thick enough layer of final on there but as long as your primer is white it should me at a maximum a 2 coat.
Hmmm maybe I'm doing something wrong? This is exactly what I've been using to paint pre-primed based from the depot. I find one coat seems to be a tad translucent and I need 3 coats to look superior. Maybe I'm just being a little too picky? Or maybe I should prime over the primer with a slightly tinted primer? I typically use a 4" "whizz" type roller with what I think is a 3/8 nap...not sure ill have to check the package to confirm nap size. Speaking of nap...:::yawn::: LOL

Has anyone had experience spraying a white in a HVLP sprayer? I experimented last night with the SW pro-classic but "thinned" it 50% (8 oz paint to 4 oz. H2O) which id rather not I was just afraid the latex would be too thick on its own to go thru the gun. Didn't look too too bad...but it was more or less just an experiment!

Thanks

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
lifestooshort81 said:
Hmmm maybe I'm doing something wrong? This is exactly what I've been using to paint pre-primed based from the depot. I find one coat seems to be a tad translucent and I need 3 coats to look superior. Maybe I'm just being a little too picky? Or maybe I should prime over the primer with a slightly tinted primer? I typically use a 4" "whizz" type roller with what I think is a 3/8 nap...not sure ill have to check the package to confirm nap size. Speaking of nap...:::yawn::: LOL

Has anyone had experience spraying a white in a HVLP sprayer? I experimented last night with the SW pro-classic but "thinned" it 50% (8 oz paint to 4 oz. H2O) which id rather not I was just afraid the latex would be too thick on its own to go thru the gun. Didn't look too too bad...but it was more or less just an experiment!

Thanks
A roller puts it on thin so that's one issue. I have found I get better results with brushing it on. It seems to level out like glass. You also need to use a decent primer. I now use the preprite as the premium wall and wood was way too thick. I had much worse results with the more expensive primer. 1 coat of preprite and 2 coats of final pro classic should give you a very nice finish. If I'm happy with it then most others should be as I'm a anal ass about finish quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Valspar Ultra Premium has good coverage but goes on like glue. Its one of the whitest paints Ive seen, just a terrible paint in terms of quality and finish.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts