Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I recently sent out a proposal for residing a house. I am fairly new to this business and was hoping to get some pricing ideas to see if I am in line.
The job consists of stripping the house of its old shingles and clapboard.
Removing all debris from the site. Installing the same material that was removed. The house is a 2 story. 1500 sq.ft. of white cedar shingles. 420 L.F. of clapboard. I will not be staining or painting. New paper. I am in the Boston area. I will let you know what I quoted after I get some responses.

2) I have read some of the figures for vinyl siding and I must be missing something. If my math is correct and I take $175.00 ( avg. per sq. ) by 20 sq. which is approx. what this job would be, the total for this job would be $3500.00. Is that the average cost to do a good size house with vinyl ?

Great Site :Thumbs:

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Western red cedar is a much better product because it contains all veritcle grains. The Easter white cedar has mixed grains and is more prone to cupping. In my area I can buy clap or shingles in either red or white regardless. I almost always buy red.

There is much more labor involved in installing shake/shingle type siding, plus the materials cost more per square as well.

20 squares of vinyl clap (not figuring ANY trim) = $4300 installed
20 squares of cedar clap (not figuring any trims) = $6820 installed
20 squares of cedar perfection shingles (not figuring any trims) = $7080 installed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts