Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acker whirlpool bath tub that was installed last winter, and it looks like the skirt for the unit was installed with velcro tape and cardboard.

I guess over the coures of the few months that its been installed it will no longer stay on, Acker sent a guy over to do repairs on it and they re did the same thing with velcro and card board, needless to say the customer ripped it off the same day.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any way of repairing this without screws, as the customer will not accept that idea.

BJD

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys;
Thats exactly what I intend to use, I have gotton 3 of them from a local supply co and they say they will hold up to 50.lbs

I also am going to use some of the new plastic materail used for brick mold and what such for extra support.

I have the problem solved as how to locate the magnets and plates, as this tub is fully installed.

THanks BJD

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mdshunk said:
That would be a very large magnet, indeed. Maybe a rare earth magnet would work better? :cheesygri
Yeah, the whole earth ones are pretty big, you buy one and you can just shave pieces off of it for a life-time. The rare earth ones are just too hard to find! :cheesygri

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know it really gets me when the guys that build the tubs, Aker/MAxx dont put enough time into the design.
They sent a nitwit over and he hotglued more cardboard shims in and added 3 layers of duble face tape, then on top of that he went and put velcro tapes on to support the skirt.
As soon as they run up the tub, the skirt fell off from the expandtion of the tub from the water temp. Seems the cardboard delamanted from the fiberglass, IE the hot glue let go.

This has been done 3 times from the nitwits from Maxx/Aker "Factory Reps"

Now if it has not worked 3 times what to make them think it will hold this time. When I told them of the magnet idea, they said fine go ahead, and the warranty is void.

BJD

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Bjd said:
Now if it has not worked 3 times what to make them think it will hold this time. When I told them of the magnet idea, they said fine go ahead, and the warranty is void.

BJD
LOL, the warranty on the skirt is void? Big deal, it doesn't seem to be worth anything anyways.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Bjd,

I've had the same problems with those skirts. It was on new construction and the builder decided to build a wood frame and tile the front and of course leave the necessary access panel for the motor. We soon changed the style to avoid those skirts that they actually charge you for!! But, in you're case those magnets sound like a decent solution.

J

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I let you guys know later this week, as we are kinda tied up on some nursing home jobs this week.

Kinda of a pain, as they are from one end of the state to the other end.

BJD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts