Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sharpie
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just did a bathroom for a new client while his wife and he went on vacation. Here's a short back story. His wife is pregnant and their communal bathroom looks like everything came from a reuse-it store or even a landfill, so Hubby wants to remodel it cheap. Cheap and remodel just shouldn't go together in the same sentence......anyways he wants the plastic liner torn out then tiled and a new tub and faucet set put in.

Now my time is limited but with the family gone for two weeks it allows me freedom to go in whenever I want. I know there will be issues but we agree to a price range and awwaaay they go.

:furious::furious::censored: nightmare plumbing, garbage studding, plaster walls, confined spaces.

To make a long story short he didn't want to pay much for the work he wanted done and I was forced to repair some other shoddy work done previously, not to mention the leak in the toilet that I had to fix.

So, I damaged the walls as expected to release the old tub from its plaster prison and repaired them with green board but by now I have found that the walls were painted maybe 5 times (and some of the paint jobs were just hideous) only, the paint must have been latex over latex over oil over latex over oil over lead base. Paint was peeling off like a banana peel.

I made the executive decision to not mess with the walls, other than the tiles, due to my time constraints and the fact that the job is already beyond his original budget, (and oh yah...the lead thing). I feel bad that the bathroom couldn't be touched up to make it a finished product but I feel confident that the tub and tile work will stand on their own. Hopefully he deals with the painting aspect quickly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Scary! I require clients to be available, and return calls promptly when remodeling. Remodeling's like a box of chocolates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts