Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How do "You" install 15 & 20 A receptacles?

• Sparkies; Up & to the left.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sparkies; Down & to the right.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Everyone else; Up & to the left.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Everyone else; Down & to the right.

Votes: 7 43.8%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to ask this for some time now and while reading through SFO's "Tread Thread" yesterday, I figured, now is as good a time as any, so here goes.

I've even included a poll to simplify a running tally.

Quite simple really, just like the title asks...

How do "You" install 15 & 20 A receptacles and why?

Ground pin up & to the left.
Or
Down & to the right.

I'm really interested in the Why, so don't be shy on your reasoning.

Thanks for your insights,
D.

·
Registered
15,895 Posts
Well it's been argued that ground up will prevent accidentally bridging the leads if something touched with the plug not although way in. Because that happens.....

Then there's the smiley face position. Ground down.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, I guess the search function is broken again.
I only found one thread on the subject from 2008.

Anyway, I wasn't asking for an argument, just opinions, not insults.

My latest experience and why I asked...

Household thermometer Thermometer Ruler Measuring instrument Tape measure

Mr. Mod, feel free to shut it down even delete, God forbid if anything is repetitive around here.

Thanks again for the warm replies. :rolleyes:
D.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
Down. Although I must admit that we didn't even have grounded outlets when I first started illegally wiring.:whistling (did I just say illegal?)

We had a kid in school bit through an electrical cord when he was a toddler - effed up mouth for life - didn't matter which way the ground was for him.:no:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
The job I'm working on now had a decent argument for ground up. The HO called me upstairs to look at a receptacle that had flashed and tripped after shocking his little girl's neck. I found that a penny had been tucked in between the plug and the receptacle and, while the girl and her brother were playing near it, she had fallen into the plug which dropped the penny and it made contact with the back of her neck.

It took me a while to figure out what happened because the penny fell down between the carpet and the baseboard. It was a pretty bizarre combination of events. She was really lucky that it wasn't her face that hit the plug because it was a pretty nasty burn.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Interesting, I guess the search function is broken again.
I only found one thread on the subject from 2008.

Anyway, I wasn't asking for an argument, just opinions, not insults.

My latest experience and why I asked...

View attachment 111508

Mr. Mod, feel free to shut it down even delete, God forbid if anything is repetitive around here.

Thanks again for the warm replies. :rolleyes:
D.
I haven't used the search feature in years. Go to Google and just type what you want to search and the add contractortalk to the search string. It will find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Is there is a causal connection between using EMT and having mud rings installed horizontally?
I feel/think it was done to differentiate between NM and an EMT install. Only a feeling, don't know for certain. I think horizontial looks better along the base line of the wall. Just as vertical along door openings looks better.

I also use 1900 (4 square) boxes 99% of the time on/in walls. Some deep, some standard. Once in awhile an 11b. 8b boxes on the ceiling, fan support boxes where needed. Very rarely a single gang.

Tom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts