Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm getting different answers from different salespeople on this. Part of a project I'm bidding calls for a sun tunnel on residential corrugated metal roof.

Can I use the Regular TMR kit with flashing boot, or do I need to build a curb and bend metal.

I've installed about a hundred Suntunnels on shingle roofs, but never had to deal with a metal roof. If I have to start bending and fabbing metal, I'll get a roofer to do it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
368 Posts
Call velux, they will tell you what they recommend. I would curb it personally, but velux might have an appropriate flashing kit.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything that requires me to do more than cut some metal out of the way is beyond my skill set. If there needs to be a box or curb, or any bending and forming of metal, I'm gonna have to involve a roofer.

A call to velux verified the need for a curb, which is counter to what my sales guy told me.

The challenge is in finding a roofer to come out for this tiny amount of work.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do them all the time in metal roofing, the issue here is the type of roof your dealing with. If you have to go to the trouble of curbing it up then why not just go with a curb mount skylight. 2x2 velux are relatively cheap, some of the solar tube kits are $$$.

Still need a roofer though.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I hate them stupid tube lights...... truth be told you can run a $20 Led bulb all day for alot less and have light all the time. No hole in the roof to leak or hail to knockout the glass. Just saying

1 - 6 of 6 Posts