Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some feedback on what vacs / casings you guys are using with your tools and why. I've heard everything from price to brand loyalty in my time, but it's always in a face to face conversation and it's always easier for someone to tell me straight when they're behind they're computer and I'm not trying to sell them something.

I admit my employment makes me biased, but I'm always looking for ways we can improve our products - and knowing why you're using what you're using would get me closer to that improvement.

Thanks in advance.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
My old boss had a rigid, thing was louder than a freakin jet!

You couldn't be anywhere in the house if someone was using it, your eardrums would fly, screaming, out of your head, I refused to use it.

I brought my own when I needed one, an ancient (20 yo) craftsman. Still got it today.:thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Craftsman and Bosch. Craftsman I bought 6 years ago for personal use but the business took it :whistling and it's a beast. It's the "dirty" vacuum and has always done its job.
Bosch was purchased for dust control with a Bosch grinder. It works good with the grinder and has some cool features but just as a regular vacuum, my Craftsman is better. I bought the Bosch used. Full price is WAY too much for that thing.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a Shop-Vac 16 gallon for general dirty work. Not too loud, and seems to last as long as you use a bag. Rarely use it for wet pick up duties.

I have a Fein Mini-Turbo for smaller jobs. I really like that one. It's very quiet, and has lasted years. Plus, it's very portable.

I also have a Festool CT-22 which only sees duty as a dust collector for my tools. I like the auto-switch and variable suction. That last feature is a must for sanding.

I also have a Delta dust collector for my shop. One of the best investments I have made! makes running the jointer and planer much more pleasurable.

If you could come up with a vac that's the size, noise level and weight of the Fein Mini-Turbo, capacity and price of the Shop Vac, capable of using 1-1/4", 2-1/2" and 4" hoses, has auto switch and variable suction, along with the stability of the Festool, air flow of the Delta dust collector, and lasts like a WAP, you should be in good shape. Oh, and it should have a HEPA filter.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use the Ridgid WD4070, all the newer ridgid vacs with the dark orange bases are 1/4 as loud as the old ones. The WD4070 has decent suction and is compact but due to its size the filter is about 5 inches, and sits about half an inch from the base of the vac so it clogs with dirt FAST. Its small cleanups only. I should have gotten the WD4522 that looks like a toolbox since I would be able to stack stuff on it and put it on my handcart or lockbox. I also have an older 12 Gallon 3.5 horse Ridgid.

Thus far I've found even the high-capacity vacumes clog too fast for really big clean-ups, thats why I want to make my own cyclone dust separator for my shop (because I'm too poor to buy a real Pulse-bac or other commercial vac).

Now I'm chomping at the bit to buy a CTMINI or CT22 so I fit in with all the cool all the cool kids...

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts

Shop-Vac Heavy Duty Portable

Features:
  • Cord Length: 20 Feet
  • Operation Sound Level: Quiet
  • Hose Size: 1.5" Diameter
  • Warranty: 5 Year
  • Lock-on Hose
  • Hand Held Design
I bought it b/c it packs a 5.5hp motor in a small package, uses filters and bags I can get from lowes or wal-mart. Wal-mart even sells the super fine dust bags for picking up drywall dust with...it is not that loud, can't be on the phone with someone while using it but quiet enough for me to run to clean up after myself when I do some small work in an occupied office building, but large enough to handle a decent mess.

I can also get a 2.5" hose for it if I wanted. The hoses thread on so there is no more jarring the hose loose no matter how had a pull. The top secures to the tank really well so I don't have to ever deal with the tank falling off and spewing dust everywhere....

And I can get HEPA filters for it online.....

The make one with a 6.5hp motor in it, but you have to contact shop-vac to get it.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Festool CT22 here, as well. I used to baby it and only use it for dust collection....pffft those days are long past. If you use bags and filters, the only wearable items are the crevice tool and the inserts for the floor attachment :thumbsup: I paid too damned much money for it to sit idle and make me listen to the loud ass Ridgid I have for sucking the water out of toilets....now that I cant put my Fesool through :laughing:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My truck vacuum is a Rigid compact thing. It is not holding up well.

I like the size,My monster vacuums are to big to haul around.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I should add on, I like the ridgid as far as quality vs price goes, but the hose is complete garbage.....I mean its really weak.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I like the Rigid ProPack so much I now have two. It has a 5hp motor and tons of cleaning suction as long as the filter is clean. takes a bag-they don't 'make' one for it at HD but the small bag that is on the shelf does work but has small capacity (so-sweep up the big mess). the selling point was how everything stores neatly inside the unit! only downside is I haven't found a HEPA filter.

the smartcart looks nice but a little too large for carrying up flights of stairs and toting around a house-the noise reduction would be nice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every job I've been to with my Fein, the customer has noted that I have an extremely quiet vacuum. I can even have conversations with it running. I also like the auto start on it for running dust collection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts