Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new table saw, I just got a large job where I will be ripping PVC 5/4 and it will be finish work so I want a saw thats up to the job, I have a Ryobi at the moment. I am not a huge fan of ryobi but I don't use a table saw that often
thats why I bought it about 5 years ago.
So I want the cuts to be super straight and I was thinking about the Bosh 4100, just thought I would throw it out there for debate
thx for any input :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Makita 2704, cuts 3 5/8 on edge, better rolling stand easier than the bosch, also adjust to different work heights, best saw i ever used besides the festool ts75 for sheet goods!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have the DeWalt DW745

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15056

This is an AWESOME feature:

"Rack and Pinion fence rails make fence adjustments fast, smooth and accurate"

It has worked great for me. I ran a lot of China MDF type toe kick through along with other stuff and am happy.

The other I looked at was the DW744X it has a wider rip width.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15325

I've heard people talk shiz about DeWalt but for me personally I've never had probs with their tools except the jigsaw.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've got the DeWalt too. Very happy with it. I chose it for size,I don't have room in my van for a huge saw with a stand and wheels.

I work it HARD,two years now still accurate,still whole.If a smaller saw is a requirement take a second look at the DeWalt.--------------------------MIKE

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
ive used the ridgid, the makita and the dewalt, and i own the bosch,

id buy another bosch over the others again. the dewalts are nice and light but when the fence goes out of alignment or something gets messed up on it ive wasted to much time trying to realign it. on my bosch it takes about 10 minutes

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the above are good . I have an old Makita that just won't die . It's light as can be . The fence has to be checked every time you move it . The worst thing about it is the noise . Loud as can be . I really need to upgrade , and when I do it will be the Bosch . I have used them and they are nice . As with most everybody though storage space is at a premium and that old Makita has a nice little spot and the Bosch will take up more room .

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
prob my only complaint about my bosch is the weight of it... sometimes i feel ill need to stop into the chiropractor after moving the saw. but beefy is better it doesnt tip over when running larger panels through it which ive had happen on the dewalt

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
I think Bosch translates to heavy in German.

Every Bosch tool I have owned is heavy. I have the Dewalt table saw and agree with most of these guys. Portable, easy adjustments, durable, but getting it to stay accurate is an ongoing process.

·
The Old Master
92 Posts
Time for a new table saw, I just got a large job where I will be ripping PVC 5/4 and it will be finish work so I want a saw thats up to the job, I have a Ryobi at the moment.

Are we talking different initals here "PVC" to a plumber means plastic.

5/4 means 1-1/4 Thick ...
Now are you going to rip 1-1/4" thick plastic to some width? If so how are you going to keep it from melting back together? Or did I read this post wrong? Maybe your PVC means something else?

Sometimes Parr is STUPID ...

·
Super Moderator
10,596 Posts
Time for a new table saw, I just got a large job where I will be ripping PVC 5/4 and it will be finish work so I want a saw thats up to the job, I have a Ryobi at the moment.

Are we talking different initals here "PVC" to a plumber means plastic.

5/4 means 1-1/4 Thick ...
Now are you going to rip 1-1/4" thick plastic to some width? If so how are you going to keep it from melting back together? Or did I read this post wrong? Maybe your PVC means something else?

Sometimes Parr is STUPID ...
Bill. By PVC he was talking about azek or a similar pvc trim board. These are used a lot on exterior trim.

·
Pro,self employed28 years
13 Posts
What to get ....

Interesting thread. I have the 'original' green portable makita table saw, about 25 years now, so it's done the job but I'm thinking about replacing it. Like the solidness of the bosch, just wondering if it's that much quieter ???

It's a lot of money, the Makita is about half the price. I like the idea of a bigger surface, which was always the drawback with my portable makita as was the 'tip' factor.

Rich

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
prob my only complaint about my bosch is the weight of it... sometimes i feel ill need to stop into the chiropractor after moving the saw. but beefy is better it doesnt tip over when running larger panels through it which ive had happen on the dewalt
That's good to know. :thumbsup:

I built a custom saw cart where the table saw is mounted one way and my 12" miter the other and three board feed stands.

I designed it for a large commercial jobsite where I could roll it from my lock down cage to a cut room on each floor or the parking garage.

Never had it off the cart to know that.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
ive used the ridgid, the makita and the dewalt, and i own the bosch,

id buy another bosch over the others again. the dewalts are nice and light but when the fence goes out of alignment or something gets messed up on it ive wasted to much time trying to realign it. on my bosch it takes about 10 minutes
Out of curiosity how did this happen?

I've only had to take it off my saw cart a few times so I've never really abused it by trowing it in (so to speak) or dragging it out of a vehicle on a regular basis.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have the Dewalt DW745 also and it's pretty quiet, light, and seems to be pretty durable. I keep it on the shelf in the back of the truck but it stays aligned rather well for bumping around all the time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts