Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to John Bridge forums regular sheetrock is good and the search function here turned up a lot of good advice about Green Eboard, but it doesn't look like my market has it (mid-lower Delaware).

Is Durock or Hardi and a modified thinset to embed the Kerdi preferred or sheetrock with an unmodified for embedding the Kerdi?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I've used drywall and cbd,too. I prefer the cbd. If there is a plumbing leak you could have the drywall fail. Cbd would survive.

Also, for towel bars or other penetrations, cbd is stronger imo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is Durock or Hardi and a modified thinset to embed the Kerdi preferred or sheetrock with an unmodified for embedding the Kerdi?

Chevy, No Modified Thin-set with Kerdi, I use Kerdi Board Myself.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
DensArmor is my favorite for ease of use but it's hard for me to get so I mostly use Permabase. Durock is about the same. I'm not a fan of Hardiboard. That dust is brutal.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Plus the screwing and taping it with Fibafuse is a heck of a lot faster than with the cbu. Just remember to wear gloves. DensArmor will tear your hands up pretty badly.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I have always preferred CBU over drywall. I've seen the effects of water leakage on the back of drywall where CBU would have stood up.
That being said, I have been using more and more Wedi over the last year or so and like it as well.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I don't have any problem believing that drywall should be OK, but it just feels wrong. I do condo work where due to fire rating the drywall is going to stay, but I still put on 1/4" Hardi.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We have recently started using Fiberock on shower walls due to the fact that it is the same thickness as drywall, where 1/2" Hardibacker is not. The Fiberock is easier to cut than hardi as well. Still makes dust, but not near as bad as Hardi. Once it's hung, we red guard everything and tile it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DensArmor is drywall with no paper content 4x8 sheets. DenShield is tile backer 3x5 sheets. Personally not a fan of either, and haven't seen any at local suppliers for years.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That's what we do. Haven't ever put Sheetrock behind tile. Boss would probably try to slap some sense into me (literally) if I suggested it. Not that I would, because I'm just as passionate about the quality of work we do as the boss is.

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
Im with Angus. I use Permabase but with Hydroban.
Easy to work with and priced right.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Schleuter insists that standard drywall is sufficient. I have done green board and it worked fine. Heck I did showers directly on too of green board years ago before I knew any better (showers in my dads rentals) and they are still standing. That said I have since honed my craft and I am particular to cement board. As mentioned earlier drywall with disintegrate in the instance of a plumbing leak whereas cement boar will survive. Also hardibacker is great for floors but wicks water so I would never use it in a shower.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts