Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard that New York Doesn't Require Licenses for General Contractors ... Only Asbestos, Crane & maybe Demolition companies do.

I was talking to my Painting sub on the phone about tomorrow and he was crying about California regulations, when he mentioned NY.

Is it True?

What other states let just anyone contract?

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WTF!

One license for each county? I thought many of you guys work "Tri-state" ... is their a course to take like a test or is it just a pay over the counter thing ... like our business licenses? California has a State license and then you have to get local business licenses for each city or county, but those are just for tax purposes.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
In our locale there are no licenses on the county level, only plumbing and heating licenses within the city limits. You do need proof of insurance or a waiver to pull a permit as a contractor. HO's can pull a permit by signing a waiver.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must hold a state license do Electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, Plumbing, or Hydronics work in Ohio. General construction contractors may need to be licensed at the local level. Check with the city or county for licensing information and requirements.

For Once I like California's system better!

Quick Research page for state requirements...

·
Da Grump
441 Posts
general contractors license in nebraska is just a registration.electrical license is a state isue,a few citys have their own electricians license.plumbing licenses are done by city/county,mechanical is city/county

·
Banned
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What does it take to get a license in each city? is their a competency test?

.... or is it like my Dog's License?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
We should have a thread on what statesdo require a contractor to be licensed? I'll bet it would be a shorter list.

Here in Florida you need a license to do everything!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nothing in NH for GC's, or to pull permits.
Electricians & plumbers have licenses.
This needs to change.
Mass, you need a Construction Supervisors License to do the work and a HIC (Home Improvement Contractors License) to pull the permit.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Nothing!?!

Not even for Commercial?
What do you suppose a license does anyway? :whistling

Isn't California and a few other states tightly regulated, but hacks work away?

When we build new homes, the insurance and experience do as much to regulate who works as a "tax" and a piece of paper. When we do commercial work, it is about the same...a hack doesn't get in the door, since they usually don't have the experience, credit, contacts, or know how to get the job anyway.

We have beat this horse to death in many threads, and those of us that live in states without licensing are as qualified as contractors who have passed multiple tests......the license does not get the job.

Oklahoma will soon have statewide licensing to insure "compliance" with WC laws, "experience", and insurance, but we have that covered. What this really means is A: a new tax, and B: another way to insure we are buying insurance. A test does not mean the work will be exceptional.

Except for hack remodelers and flippers, who has an example of an unlicensed contractor landing a really good project? :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts