Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My client has decided he'd like to upgrade his Kohler pressure-balancing shower valve but has left selecting one to me, and I don't have enough experience to give advice.

When it comes to the trim, he doesn't want any massaging heads, hand-showers, or body-sprays - just a traditional head. Says he's a "turn the knob and get in" kind of guy. He might like a separate lever for volume control, though.

What do you recommend to clients?

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
My client has decided he'd like to upgrade his Kohler pressure-balancing shower valve but has left selecting one to me, and I don't have enough experience to give advice.

When it comes to the trim, he doesn't want any massaging heads, hand-showers, or body-sprays - just a traditional head. Says he's a "turn the knob and get in" kind of guy. He might like a separate lever for volume control, though.

What do you recommend to clients?
Is it working otherwise? How about a new cartridge and maybe a trim kit for it?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The existing valve works just fine. I estimated for a new trim kit but I think the Kohler line-up didn't get him going.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
What's the reason for the upgrade?
I tore out his fiberglass shower stall to build a bigger shower. Mud pan, frameless glass, wing-wall storage, etc... The valve is the only remnant of his old shower.

·
Registered
819 Posts
since im only 90 minutes away from Kohler, WI I always recommend Kohler....Moen is my 2nd choice

Kohler isn't always the best engineered, but as far as quality of materials they are the best in the world in my opinion

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Delta Monitor is exactly what I had in mind for this guy. I also put together some Hansgrohe options for him. That Hansgrohe iBox valve is really cheap, though, almost makes me nervous.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My "go to" valve is a Moentrol, as low as $100 for trim and valve shower only
For upgrades I go to Grohe or Hansgrohe, the last Ibox valve was the same as a Moen $60-$70 but the SS trim was $$$. Although the customer really likes it much better than the Grohe in the other shower.

Does Hansgrohe have lower priced trims?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rrk said:
My "go to" valve is a Moentrol, as low as $100 for trim and valve shower only For upgrades I go to Grohe or Hansgrohe, the last Ibox valve was the same as a Moen $60-$70 but the SS trim was $$$. Although the customer really likes it much better than the Grohe in the other shower. Does Hansgrohe have lower priced trims?
I'm seeing several Hansgrohe thermostatic trim kits around $300 but Amazon reviews say the base is a chrome painted plastic, which I don't like. I'll be having lunch at the supply house again.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Grohe or Hansgrohe would be one of my last choices....expensive and over engineered...ive had tons of call backs on their faucets for seizing on well water...they have such tight tolerences....and then you cant get them apart to put a new cartridge in....I really think Grohe and Hansgrohe are a B-grade product at a AAA price....ive had tons of customer complaints about both....the only thing I like from Grohe is their Ladylux kitchen faucet...and once again its over engineered.....the Germans don't know how to make something simple

Delta is my 3rd choice...they have gone the all plastic route....their faucets have a cheap feel to them.....

Id pick Moen over Delta

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,506 Posts
I've installed a few American Standard. They've all held up well. Seem like decent quality. Not over-priced.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've installed a few American Standard. They've all held up well. Seem like decent quality. Not over-priced.
the AS rep. told me he knows their stuff is junk to me at a luncheon..

I use their Americast tubs once in a while...I typically order 2 and pick the one with less damage

I charge an upcharge if a customer picks AS.....ive never done a full bath with their products that I didn't have to spend at least 1 extra hour on or make a return trip on....the last one had a shower handle that felt like it was falling off...I had to give the homeowner the allen wrench and tell him he will most likely be retightening it once in a while...the handle wobbled from side to side

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Grohe or Hansgrohe would be one of my last choices....expensive and over engineered...ive had tons of call backs on their faucets for seizing on well water...they have such tight tolerences....and then you cant get them apart to put a new cartridge in....I really think Grohe and Hansgrohe are a B-grade product at a AAA price....ive had tons of customer complaints about both....the only thing I like from Grohe is their Ladylux kitchen faucet...and once again its over engineered.....the Germans don't know how to make something simple

Delta is my 3rd choice...they have gone the all plastic route....their faucets have a cheap feel to them.....

Id pick Moen over Delta
There are just a few Hansgrohe reasonably priced valves, not many. But you need to order Grohe or Hansgrohe valves from someone who knows the product line. The catalog is very confusing and many times my plumber would inform me we had the wrong/missing parts because the sales people were not familiar with the products.

My plumber said the same thing about taking them apart, I just remind him not to knock the tile off the wall.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts