Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm thinking of starting off on my own (I know my boss makes good money and isn't paying me enough). Now I'll need to start buying stuff and watching costs... I know the retailers give deals and stuff for Contractors and Business accounts... Is one better than the other between Home Depot or Lowe's? Outside of convenience of location to a jobsite, which is better?

Thanks!

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
The best thing to do is just take the material right off the job site you are working on, inflate the price by 1000% and sell it to your side job customers.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
The best thing to do is just take the material right off the job site you are working on, inflate the price by 1000% and sell it to your side job customers.
I need to clean the monitor after that....soda and a half chewed pretzel all over....

Seriously though, don't you think the 1000% markup is excessive?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an option

What if the only other option in town is the guy whos business Im leavin.

So, is there one store that is better than the other? If so, why?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
What ever you do get your paint at HD....Lowe's paint sucks.:jester:

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts

So, is there one store that is better than the other? If so, why?
Because your new here I'm going to stifle my knee jerk reaction.

First, it would be appreciated if your first post was in the intro section with a little info about who and where you are followed by what you do.

Second, try the search feature using keywords to match the stores your asking about to help you sort out our collective preference.

Once you've had enough of that try the business section and see if you can learn what your boss has to cover with that "good money" he's making.

As an employer, when you tell me he's not paying you enough I'm wondering if your delivering what you think you're worth in return. Not saying your not, just wondering.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
I need to clean the monitor after that....soda and a half chewed pretzel all over....

Seriously though, don't you think the 1000% markup is excessive?

1000% markup of "Free" is $0.00!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know it sounds like a joke, but this is my honest advice: whichever one is closer to you or your job.

Check out your local suppliers for their prices - sometimes they'll give a discount just for having an account with them (even Harbor Freight does that) but Lowes and HD don't usually do price breaks unless you order in volume.

Order things off the web from web based suppliers. They usually deliver for free if the order is over $100 and it's much cheaper than HD for fasteners, drill bits, anchors, etc. Sometimes HD or Lowes can offer power tools at lower costs than you can find on-line, and both have great return policies.

But one is not particularly better than the other. Lowes and HD just carry some different brands and some different types of products. The prices and 'discounts' are pretty similar.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
Not an option

The only sensible thing to do is to load up the guy's truck with his material and drive off into the sunset while you flip him the bird.

Consider it your severance package ~ he'll appreciate your progressive thinking and actions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

Thanks Custrel, I appreciate the response... I'll check out a few web based psuppliers... Can you recommend a few you use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
is this what the world is coming too? You only have lowes and home depot to choose from?

don't you have a local lumber yard?

You only have choice a and b?

PS if you hang out at a local lumber yard you'll look more like a contractor, you'll be chillin with the good ole boy network, and you won't be elbowing homeowners asking stupid questions.

PSS put a broom in the back of your truck.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
hey Celtic, i think you are being too subtle...it's obviously not getting through...

I have a feeling a couple of folks have added me to their "ignore list" lately.

:whistling Jimmy cracked corn :whistling

:laughing:

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
My understanding of my local home depot contractor discount is that they offer 10% off of $2500.00 or more. When the market was booming they offered NO DISCOUNT AT ALL. Once I spent about 10k at sherwin I started getting about 10% off.

I don't think you need to worry about material costs; you need to worry about getting customers. Unless you've got a years worth of work lined up already, so many leads in the pipe you can't get to them all and a killer website with 100's of hits a day.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts