Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Rather than go into full explanation of what I'm doing and why...I'd like to keep this simple and focus on these two options without a bunch of questions so the thread doesn't become some kind of debate or turn to "you shouldn't do either" type of thing.

That said, the local building official and engineer will allow either of the following foundation designs. "A" uses 12% less concrete which is appealing to me in a couple of ways. However, it would require 3 separate pours. That means more forming and more labor, I think.

So, even though "B" takes 12% more concrete, I'm thinking it may not cost any more due to its simplicity (less forming labor than "A"). Some forming on the top inside and outside, and it is done in one pour. Clean and quick. Does that sound reasonable?

Some of the foundation will be poured on compacted fill. Some will bear directly on bedrock which I can pin to.

Which one of these would you guys use and why?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,422 Posts
Why the angled face on "B"?

Youll spend more time fooling with that than if you just dig it straight and pour it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why the angled face on "B"?
Thanks! It's angled to save concrete. If I went straight, it would be nearly 30% more concrete than option "A". That said, angling may not be realistic with the ground sluffing off.

One pour means no cold joints

Mike
Thanks! Can you tell me what cold joints are and what problems they can cause?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.