Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a 12" Dual bevel sliding miter and unable to decide between 3 models. The Bosch 5412, Dewalt 718 or Hitachi C12. The 12" is probably more saw than I will need but how much more cutting capacity is available with the 12" versus the 10"? I'm in the process of renovating my trophy room and I am mainly going to be building bases for lifesize mounts which will all be 45* miters with the stock being mostly 1 X 6 & 1 X 8. Any advice or useful information is appreciated.

Doug

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
The newer DeWalts have a higher vertical capacity up against then fence then the Bosch....but I still take my Bosch over the DeWalts. The Hitachi just looks so bulky i never even thought about it....I think it is about time Bosch started coming up with a new 12" slider...considering when it came out it was way better then its competitiors I am wondering what this new one will be like....

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I like the Bosch 4412 (??) myself, - - you just can't beat the convenience of all the controls being upfront.

You sound better off with a 10" for your needs, though, - - less diameter, less blade deflection.

I'm not sure of the exact (straight) cutting capacity of the 10" Bosch, - - but the 12" (straight) capacity is about 12 1/2", - - and about 16 1/2 " if you tilt your board up.

I'm sure the 10" should leave plenty of room to spare for cutting a 1 X 8 at a 45.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Real carpenters eat dust for breakfast. :thumbsup:

All right, - - what brand feather-duster do you use?? :laughing:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Im still vouching for the new makita Ls 1016! the saw has such a soft start feature thats a pleasure to pull the trigger and feel the smoothness!!:thumbup:

and with the 12 inch capacity !!:notworthy

i still hear that festool has some issues! so untill they work out the kinks,or i start cutting in peoples dining rooms I cant see dropping that kind of coin on that saw yet!

and you know i like festool WARNER:laughing:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If your looking for a dewalt, get the older dw708 model! its much better than the dw718!!

the 718 has a bad blade wobble at startup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies and Warner I don't think your saw is in my budget :no:. I'm leaning towards the Bosch but I know it is kind of like the Ford/Chevy debate on which ones are better. Based on the description of what I'm using it for and you had $800-900 to put into a saw what would be the recommendation. I would like to get a decent stand to go with it but there are a few more choices there.

·
I like Green things
23,071 Posts
i still hear that festool has some issues! so untill they work out the kinks,or i start cutting in peoples dining rooms I cant see dropping that kind of coin on that saw yet!

and you know i like festool WARNER:laughing:
Dinning rooms??

Hell, I set the saw up in the people's bed!!:laughing:

I think they have the few issues taken care of (spring plate and miter scale) I think people tend to be extra critical of a $1300.00 saw versus a 500-600 dollar saw.

I know I was, and they took care of my womanly bitching!!:laughing:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't say this.

But I will anyway

$1300 for a saw that you use most everyday is not a lot of money if it blows your skirt up every time you use it.

$600 for a saw you will use a couple times a year seems steep even if it blows your.... each time you use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I shouldn't say this.

But I will anyway

$1300 for a saw that you use most everyday is not a lot of money if it blows your skirt up every time you use it.

$600 for a saw you will use a couple times a year seems steep even if it blows your.... each time you use it.
Gus you don't have any relatives in NC do you because that sounds exactly like what my wife said :rolleyes:. I just had a base made that was $600 and I need 14 more :eek: so with work being slow and this crazy DST I've got nothing but time.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I seriously think you will get results you are happy with with a cheaper saw. No disrespect intended at all. Just get a good blade.

If you just can't bear to buy cheap then by all means have at it and enjoy yourself. I can understand that too.

All is well and good if you can bring one home without pissing off the boss.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
$499 for the Milwaukee at HD is a deal I wouldn't pass up. I also hear you get a free Ryobi stand with it. I have both, and I'm REALLY pleased with them. The saw is a bit heavy, but if you're not lugging it around all day, every day, who cares? I put a nice Tenryu blade on mine, and it cuts real clean. Dust collection is good too. For a miter saw, anyway.

I just recently got the Ryobi stand, and I'm actually impressed! For $99 it's actually a very stable unit. Not like the other junk they make. I think it's heavier than the DeWalt, but it feels sturdier to me. The Dewalt just felt more flimsy.

Funny thing is I also have an old (20 years or so) Ryobi folding workbench that I also absolutely love. Very well made, and folds very flat. I wish they still made it. I would buy two more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts