Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a new compressor. But before I just buy a cheap one at HD I thought I would throw it out to the group. I'm looking for an electric compressor probably around 3 gal and as easily portable as possible. I'd love to keep it on my van if it doesn't take up too much space. My budget is about $200-300.

Dewalt? Rigid? Makita? What have you had an what would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

·
designer + carpenter
556 Posts
I have a 8-9 year old Dewalt twin tank oiled motor one that just won't die. When it does I'll replace it with a makita big bore, similar size.

·
Registered
534 Posts
No luck with the rigid. Our mikita has held up well. We have had good luck with the prime as well. Don't know if prime is available in the states.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If I need a lot of volume, I bank several units together. My truck mounted is a Dewalt D55153. I have a manifold and pig setup that I can add my Senco PC0968, Porter Cable Pancake C2002-WK, and a small Craftsman that I keep in my "car garage" if necessary. As you can see, I have a strong brand loyalty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
My next compressor will be a Rolair.

There's an online co called air compressors direct or something similar with good comparisons and reviews on all sorts of em... many superior to what you can get at the big box

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
The Porter Cable 6 gallon 150 PSI unit is a rugged little beast. I have been dogging mine for about 8 years spraying knockdown and I can't burn it up. It puts out about 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI and about 3.5 CFM at 40 PSI. My buddies all laugh when they see me run a Wallboard Texture hopper with it. That little PC has made me a lot of money over the years. It doesn't take up much room in any vehicle.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The Porter Cable 6 gallon 150 PSI unit is a rugged little beast. I have been dogging mine for about 8 years spraying knockdown and I can't burn it up. It puts out about 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI and about 3.5 CFM at 40 PSI. My buddies all laugh when they see me run a Wallboard Texture hopper with it. That little PC has made me a lot of money over the years. It doesn't take up much room in any vehicle.
2nded. ours is around the same age. has outlasted every other electric compressor we've bought. don't buy ridgid.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
California Air Tools, dual stage pump $370, ultra quiet Cat-4620a 2.0 hp
That thing looks sweet, not dual stage though, just dual piston. If it was dual stage one pump be feeding into the other. This one has an air filter (drawing ambient air) connected to each piston. 5.3 CFM at 90 psi is really respectable for a compressor that size and decibel rating.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
makita or rol air hands down winners

everyone ive talked to about the rigids say dont waste your time with em nothing but problems.. also they dont make them for that matter their rebranded campbell hausfeld and thats direct from the local ridgid/ milwaukee rep

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
I was curious as to why all the negative opinions on the Ridgid compressors. I went over to the Ridgid forums and........OUCH!.......is about all I can say.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts