Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing 3 columns on a porch with 6x4 PT lumbar. I will be facing it with PVC. SHould they be jointed with a 45 miter ?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for nothing

I didn't realise that the guys on here where so paranoid. I am a home owner that is true, but I am also a business owner, licensed and insured with about 3 years of property management under my belt. I am sure not alot compared to most on here.
I am sick of getting back advise from people I know in the trades who seem to send me in the wrong direction so I did a little searching and tried here.
I guess I will not ask any more questions until I have 9000 posts in then I will be a real contractor.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
miters are not traditionally used on wood trim outside generally,moisture and movement tend to open the joint up over time

with the pvc the joints can be ''solvent welded'' and they will probably stay tight
just its not the traditional look that you may be trying to achieve

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the advise, I think I am going to butt glue and nail. Although the Loneframers miters are very nice.:thumbup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Hey lone, whats the extra large cupola room going to be used for? The work looks great by the way. :thumbsup:
That is an observation tower overlooking the river and wetlands. There are a bunch of neat critters around, including Bald Eagles, Red Tailed Hawks and Osprey, as well as deer and turkey on a regular basis.:thumbsup:

Attachments

Reactions: Paulie

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Is that where the announcer for the mosquito races sit come sun down?
I hear they actually have saddles and jockeys too. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Gus you gotta come to N.J. sometime:thumbup:

i talk with people for other places and they have this preconceived notion of what NJ is

this state is screwed up like every other state
but there is beauty here to,just gotta know where to find it

and yes you can saddle the big ones:laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Don't know about that.
I do remember going to watch
the submarine races.
There weren't any announcers though. :laughing:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Who you trying to kid? I heard you logged the most wins as a jockey at your campground outside of Sea Isle City back in the day.:thumbup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
You want to experience death by mosquitos? June in deep woods Maine.....sunset. THEY will saddle YOU, ***** slap you around some, use you, then suck you dry leaving a decrepit corpse.

I send visiting New Yorkers there. Massachusetts (Massholes?)have caught on, they're no fun anymore. :laughing:

BTW, mitre. Butt joints while easier are perfectly described....butt....

·
Registered
732 Posts

Certainteed uses lock miters on their pre-made PVC corner boards and they are very strong. I droped a 2FT peice from a scaffold, and it hit the driveway and while the end was mangled, the joint was fine. I noticed that other manufactures are using miter fold technology which assuming your stock is straight, is and excellent method that you can do without alot of clamps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts