Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Which do you prefer, offset boom or swing boom?

• Offset Boom

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Swing Boom

Votes: 3 60.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I run my mini ex with the offset boom, the more I really like it. I nearly pulled the trigger on one with a swing boom....and I am pretty sure, after this, I would hate it.

These pictures are from yesterday, digging footings on a new home start in Enid, Oklahoma. My bucket is a 16 inch, and I was digging a 24" wide trench. Note the fog.....damp days make for cold digging..wish I had a cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Nice looking machine Jay,

I've run both. For me there is too much going on out on the boom. We are always in between a bunch of trees or messing where something can hit all those hoses. We also work in a lot of rock, all those extra pins and hoses take a beating. Our Bobcat 4,000 LB and Akerman 19,000 LB machines have the swing boom and it works good. I find we don't use it as much as I thought we would.

For your type work you couldn't make a mistake buying either one.

As a note, attachments or options are good. But 90% of the time they are not necessary unless you are doing a specific task more than 40% of the time with that machine and attachment.

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
The swing boom is nice, especially for getting into really tight areas.

Offset booms weird me out, i've been sitting center of the boom for so long.

·
Contractor
7,427 Posts
I had to vote for the swing boom.

I can fold mine over almost against the cab to work in some tight places that otherwise I would not have been able to rotate the house around.

I think the offset boom is pretty cool looking, but as Nick already mentioned more parts to maintain and watch over.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My baby is a zero tail, and I can offset the boom all the way left to line up with the track...it don't get any closer.....but, that said, you cannot see it when set to the right.

The disadvantage I have noticed is irritating though...when the book is offset, it pulls off center on the machine, and has a tendency to slide the excavator sideways unless on soft ground or the blade is buried well.

·
Contractor
7,427 Posts
The swing booms can slide the machine around quite a bit depending on the conditions......it never slides around when you don't care....only when you absolutely need it to stay put. :sad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
i use to have two offset boom machines (komatsu pc 28uu and pc 128uu). I will never buy another offset machine again. They have way to many pins and get loose very fast. they have about half the reach of a swing or mono boom and there is NO resale value (especially to anyone that has owned and operated one beyond doing little residential jobs.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts