Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a demolition hammer this coming week for a nasty concrete project at my house.

I started today with a rental - dewalt

It is going to be a slow and painful process getting the farmer poured concrete out and with the rental costs I figured I should just buy one to save some dollars overall. I tried using a jackhammer - to brutal and confined - tried a skidsteer with a concrete buster - to confined. That's why it has to be a demo hammer.

I would perfer a sds-max unit (light but powerful enough due to much horizontal breaking).

I'm looking at dewalt, bosch, milwaukee, or wacker - willing to pay around a grand for one.

What do you feel is best - pros or cons etc?

Thanks!

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of what I am dealing with - nice eh :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice sledge hammer Bob

How about coming up this way with one and show me how it's done :whistling

You can start on the right side - it's only 21"x38"x88" of solid concrete.

I'll supply the pizza and beer - when you are done of course :laughing:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Get this guy to swing it.

Tell him it's a special workout program. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Banned
846 Posts
I just thought of a better idea. You have Craigslist right? Post this ad:

"Treasure Hunters Needed

It has come to my attention that my house used to be owned by a member of the Mafia. While renovating my living room I discovered a map hidden in a vent. There is $3 million in negotiable bearer bonds hidden in concrete outside my house. This concrete is specially hardened and extremely difficult to break up. If you can break up the concrete I will split the treasure money with you."

Then just wait for the emails. Pretty soon you'l have dozens of guys out there breaking up your concrete. This plan is failproof.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
Hilti TE 905 breaker. Its light enough to use there. At least something larger than what you got there. You can rent them at Home Depot or call a Hilti Rep and ask to demo the breaker. You can do this without paying a fee.

·
Registered
78 Posts
you need to use a 90lb jack hammer. It's hard work but your going to be there for the rest of your life with any thing else.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Maybe not practical...but preferable...:clap:

Actually for something that small...this will suffice ...Rent it for about 70 pd (electric)

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd like to use a mini-ex with a concrete buster but the area is confined due to the over hang on the house - thus the fact that also a jackhammer will not work well ( I tried that).

Sorry I did not show the overhang but I did mention the things I tried.

It's going to be a painfull ordeal. Why oh why do HO's do such things like this! There was so much bad concrete on my property when we bought it and this is the last of it - thank christ!

I just want to be careful with what I do buy

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
I own a 90lb. pneumatic hammer and an old Schramm compressor....invested $300 several years ago, and probably saved many thousands in rental fees. Nothing works better, or gives you a better workout, then working that jackhammer. I have yet to find anything it cannot break....you may have to hammer holes close to get the break started, but once you have a hole, it is fast.

My electric hammer quit years ago, and I have never even thought about buying another. I bought it used, from a pawn shop, and it was a "Chicago" import, (Bosch clone), and I strongly advise anyone to not spend even $20 bucks on one. Junk.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
SDS drives are typically used for little stuff. For horizontal work a Bosch breaker spline drive (or equivalent) will work, but an air supplied chipping gun would be better.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts