Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Daryn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. First timer. I was talking to a fellow carpenter the other day about decks and we both have a different method.

Mine: I set my joist on headers running opposite of joist.

His: He ties his joist to the rim board and ledger board with hangers. No headers used.

Now if there a superior method here? Or are the both acceptable?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Kind if depends which way your decking is running, I think the majority is like your buddy. You could introduce yourself in introductions.

·
GC/carpenter
44,232 Posts
Dhutch87 said:
Hey everybody. First timer. I was talking to a fellow carpenter the other day about decks and we both have a different method. Mine: I set my joist on headers running opposite of joist. His: He ties his joist to the rim board and ledger board with hangers. No headers used. Now if there a superior method here? Or are the both acceptable?
A rim board isn't usually sufficient enough to carry the load. No matter what you choose to do either a drop beam or a flush beam you still need a beam. Each application has its place. I prefer a drop beam myself. Most of the time I'm on a slope and I can utilize the cantilever. Also your deck can be a little easier to square because you can run your tails wild snap your line at square and cut them off, even if your beam is running a little off.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about

Roof Flip (acrobatic) Tree Home Palm tree

Here's a job I did that already had the column bases in the concrete when I started the job. Needless to say which happens a lot the concrete guys didn't get the bases square to the house, and in return caused my beam to not run parallel with the home. Running my joists wild corrected this.

Home Property House Building Real estate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts